Water Iris

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by FANCY, May 23, 2008.

1. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This yellow Iris flowered for the first time in my pond after 2 1/2 years.

[​IMG]

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Lovely photo of Iris Psuedacorus Fancy:thumb: I have some in my garden and they are just come into bud but the spare ones at the allotment have been in flower a few days:)

I am suprised though that it has taken that long to flower because none of mine are in water and they flowered within a year of planting them:confused:

3. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am surprised too. The plant has not been in situ for all that time, may be it will flower every year. Thanks for the name Psuedocorus never knew its real name.

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  5. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  6. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi FANCY! Lovely photo. We had the first yellow iris of the year flower a day or two ago. (have a pic up in my pond thread). Ours don't seem to flower very much, some years we have only had one or two, looks like there will be a few more this year.

Thanks from me as well for the name, Kandy, I didn't know it either.

FANCY - what is that pretty plant right next to the iris, with the white-edged leaves, please? It looks like it is growing in the bed and not in the water. I think it would look nice in our former bog area. Does it flower?

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Kedi, I dont know its real name but it s commonly known as either ,lambs ears or rabbit ears, I will send you some seeds.

8. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ours flower every year and also some blue ones - I'll try to get some pictures when it stops raining:rolleyes:

9. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Just Taken this (from inside the House) wind is givingIt a fair old Battering.
    [​IMG]

10. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Oh, thanks FANCY, looking forward to getting them.

Woo, that is a lovely clump in your pond. It looks like yours have been blooming for a while, but then it is warmer over your way. We've never had that many blooming in one season in our whole pond!

11. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Kedi Yes I have it in a basket but thenI have it sitting in a large Terracotta Pot I find its easier to feed and care for it and it keeps the Roots warm in the Winter.:)

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Kedi the plant you like to the left of the iris is Stachys byzantina or (lambs ears)

13. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Walnut for lambs ears . I always thought it is an old garden plant.

14. Sezzle

Sezzle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I understand these things, plants with fuzzy leaves like hot and dry conditions (my stachys has been jammed in a pot for ages and doesn't seem to mind too much) so they wouldn't like to share with the iris! Fun to stroke though...!

15. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Woo - I think ours are planted much shallower than yours, so perhaps ours freeze in the winter and that might be why they don't bloom much. So I guess ours should be put in deeper after they finish blooming. Thanks for that tip. We have never fed any of our pond plants, don't intend to either as I think that gives the water too much nutrient. The pond is overcrowded now as it is!

Thanks for the proper name of the Lambs Ears, Walnut, and your interesting bit of info, Sezzle.