Water pump (surface type) non return to tank system

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Charentejohn, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Charentejohn

Charentejohn Apprentice Gardener

Retired electrician
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have had various water pumps, larger ones and a few submersible. Currently I am using a Parkside PGHA 1300 A1 pump which works but...
    I always have a problem with the feed pipe coming in (about 1") with a non return valve at the end, photos below. As ever the water drains back into the tank (large cistern) if left too long giving me the annoying task of trying to get enough water in the supply pipe to pump it through. Currently struggling with it.

What I would like is a proper non return system so the supply stays full, failing that a better way of filling it. I am wondering if a type of header tank would be fillable and as drawn into the pump it will pull water up from the well.
    Some sort of U bend may hold the water in place, drop from ground to water level in tank is about 2m.

Does anyone have any ideas on a better supply system ?
    upload_2024-3-7_13-9-3.png

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I'm not sure of your configuration. Is the feed pipe outlet below water in your holding tank (above ground)? It needs to have a gap so it can't syphon back to the well.

3. Charentejohn

Retired electrician
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cistern is a tank below ground, looks like a well but just concrete, water level is about 2m from the surface.
    I managed to remove the filter cap and fill from there, I am guessing it will be ok if I use it regularly but an easier filling method would be best. I am looking at in line return valves to add to the 25cm feed pipe to be doubly sure.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I'm not good at this kind of thing but are saying you have to kind of prime the pump every time you want to use it.

5. Charentejohn

Retired electrician
    Ratings:
    +15
    Same here as regards water supplies :) I think the problem is the supply and hopefully an extra non return valve will help as I think it slowly drains back when not used.
    I shouldn't have to prime it but it empties before it can draw up water into the supply pipe.
    I know a plumber here and he may have some suggestions.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    Wouldn't a submersible pump be the answer.
    Or am I not getting the gist of the problem.

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Sorry I'm not understanding the set up and purpose of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Charentejohn

Retired electrician
      Ratings:
      +15
      Sorry for lack of info, we have a large area to cover although most used near the house. I have used submersible pumps but they struggle with distance, 600w was a slow process to water. These 1kw+ 'surface pumps' as they call them need an in line tap to keep the flow usable or it blasts the soil apart.

France is very water conscious and the large water tanks we have 2x about 8cubic metres are used for watering, car cleaning and general pressure washing outside so no outside taps etc needed.
      The problem has always been that the supply hose keeps draining back into the tank, despite a non return valve. The pumps should stay primed (just needed first time) but too much air in the supply hose at 3m long if it all drains to restart.
      I just wondered if there was a better system used by large setups, ok when regularly used but this time after a lot of rainy months I went out and it took 2 hrs to get it all running again.
      I will try ball type non return valves at the half way point. Or maybe an easier way to fill the supply hose as needs to be disconnected (in a tight space) multiple times.

Sure it will be fine. Photo was for someone hedge cutting for us but gives an idea of the site, my bees live in the back corner hence the ? :)

upload_2024-3-8_9-3-49.png

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,982
        As I say I'm not well up on this kind of thing, but would you actually just need a so called self priming pump.
        Or maybe you have tried them?

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        Hi,

Not a common problem for most folk in the UK, but think you will find an answer on Ytube / The Web if your search on "How to Prime a Well Pump".
        Seems to be a common problem for hotter/drier climates.

That said some of those Ytube methods look rather messy, think what we would try is a large bore submersible pump in the well with enough Head to raise the water to your Surface pump, which once it takes over then you switch off the submersible pump.

• Charentejohn

Retired electrician
        Ratings:
        +15
        I did, and still will, consider the submersible to start the main pump. For the moment I will search around.