Water Shortage!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jjordie, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Water Shortage!

Well, sort of ..

My son had to go to Northampton on Saturday and as I expect most people know there is/was a bug in the drinking water
    so that all water had to be boiled or use bottled water. As they are usually out on an airfield my son and his friends always take bottles of water from home so no problem for them but they did call into Tesco at Northampton to get a couple of sandwiches.
    They met with quite a few police who had been called to deal with a riot.
    Several of the customers had filled their large trolleys with bottles of water and there were none left for other people.

Anybody on GC from Northampton - is the tap water ok now?

:eek:

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Geordie I am from Northampton,though live in a village outside the town now.According to Anglian Water the source of the contamination has been found at their main treatment works at Pitsford and they were working round the clock to kill it off and to get everything back to normal.

They did say that within three weeks about half of Northamptonshire would be back to normal with the other half taking longer.My village was given a red card by mistake evidently because of the postcode area but we still had to boil the water until given the green card the next evening.

There was already talk on the local radio station of the supermarkets running out of water and they were going to start limiting people to a certain number of bottles.Some of the local shops too advantage of the situation and put silly prices on the bottles like £3:eek:

Anglian water said there was no need to panic buy just to boil the water that was in the taps but people wouldn't listen as they said on the radio and TV that they couldn't be bothered to go to all that trouble.

It is the Englisg Grand Prix at Silverstone this Friday,Saturday and Sunday and it is already a complete sell out so they will need to get loads of water in for those three days.

I hope that the rioting doesn't put your son off of visting us again:thumb:

3. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Glad to hear your water supply is ok Kandy - but hope they have plans to import
    enough water for Silverstone at the weekend.

The 'rioting' wouldn't put son off visiting as he is learning to fly and has been
    coming to Northampton (airfield) for several months every weekend a round trip of almost
    250 miles - I dread to think of the cost of the diesel but then that's boys and their toys!