Watering potatoes:

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Tiny Clanger, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Tiny Clanger

Tiny Clanger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm very new at growing potatoes.can someone tell me how you water potatoes when they are all ridged up and the water runs off the ridge? I have an allotment, and hoses are banned

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    TBH, I dont know how many plants you have, but doing it with a watering can is not easy.

To get enough water on there to do any good without a hose is difficult.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,690
    With a watering can fitted with a medium rose, I go over the row several times until the soil is wetted then concentrate on each plant. Once wetted the water doesn't run off so quickly. Give each plant about a couple of litres. It can take a long time without a hose, had to do this last year when we had a ban and the rules were ambiguous. Eventually the rules were clarified and because it's food production we were allowed to use hosepipes. That ruling should apply nationally on all allotments I think, where are you and who supplies your water?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,006
      I have had easy success making my rows of potatoes into a sort of "W" shape in cross-section, rather than into the normal upside-down "V". Water can be tipped into the "gutters" each side of the ridge, and permeates the ridge by seeping into it.

A bit of water applied via a watering can and rose helps ridging up in this weather, but i'm not sure it helps apart from keepuing the surface moist, preventing the inside from becoming very dry, if you see what I mean.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,148
        Hopefully you planted the potatoes so that the potato and initial roots are below the average soil level, and then raised ridges above the planting level. If you water the ridges you risk washing away the ridge exposing new tubers to light and they will green. Watering the gullies puts moisture below the plant, and roots will find it. When you raise the crop, it is worthwhile ensuring that you get to this lower level for this is often where the best spuds will be found.

• Agree Agree x 2