Watering Systems

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by welshpaul, May 25, 2012.

1. welshpaul

welshpaul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all - I need to buy a watering system for when I go away on hols. There are a few varieties on Ebay that seem ok but has anyone had experience of these? You have either got the variety that drip through a spike onto the pants roots of the type where the water seems out from tubes lying on the ground. Hope you can help!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    I use a low pressure drip feed system to use from a water butt for the last couple of years.

Rainwater Irrigation System

I bought extra bits to extend the basic £20 set for two greenhouses and my tree ferns.

I use it with a Darlec timer (a low pressure water timer) on a water butt. It works well for me, the drippers are well made and adjustable. The only concern is that it could get clogged by the crud that accumulates in the water butt coming off the shed roof. Instead of collecting rainwater I ended up re-filling my water butt with clean mains water. This might be a problem this year as we are in the hosepipe ban area.

I have another mains fed drip feed system I bought for my hanging baskets, again that's on a (high pressure) timer and saves me loads of time plus no worries when I go on holiday. I would not trust the cheap ebay systems though, personally I'd buy a decent named brand at a GC so you can see the quality and can buy the extra bits to extend if you need. The main worry with the cheap mains fed system is that the pipes can blow apart with the pressure. So make sure you have a system with a pressure reducer at least, and that the pressure reducer is properly fixed to the tap (or timer) - the last thing you need is to come home from your hols and find the system blew apart and water has gone down the drain and your plants are dead. A good system will last you years, a cheap ebay one won't.

If you are in a hosepipe ban area then you are only allowed these systems if they have a timer and a pressure reducer.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    This year is the first year that we'll have no one at home to water the polytunnel when we are away for three weeks in June. I've got an automated timer system that I connect to the outside tap that supplies a fine spray hose in the tunnel (could also use a 'leaky hose' but reckon the spray is a better option in my case). I'm just testing it at present to try to decide how often and for how long I want it to irrigate. At present it's set to switch on every 3rd day at 10pm for one hour and under the present hot conditions this seem about right. It's not a perfect solution as there is no additional control to take account of prevailing weather, and June in Scotland can be cold and wet or hot and dry!!
    Bought it in Lidl and it didn't cost much.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,984
      It's a very good idea to set them up and trial them for a few weeks beforehand as Dave has done :)

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248