WATERING

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Roy F, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Roy F

Roy F Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OFF ON MY HOL,S AUGUST THINKING ABOUT A WATER TIMER SO DONT HAVE TO ASK ANYONE TO COME ROUND TO WATER CAN ANYONE RECOMEND ONE AND ARE THEY WORTH THE MONEY

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I was looking for one too Roy and about 6 weeks ago picked one up, a Florabest, in the Lidl supermarket for around �£12 or �£14 I think which is about a third of the price of the cheapest I had found elsewhere.
    I've not used it in anger yet, but have tested it and it works fine and has a vast array of daily/weekly programs.
    If you keep an eye on the Lidl website for their offers they may do another promotion before August.
    I'll be using mine to damp down our polytunnel in early mornings when we are at home and also to water and damp down when we are away on holiday for three weeks in June.

[ 30. April 2006, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Dave W ]

3. Roy F

Roy F Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank Dave will keep an eye out enjoy your hols

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The cheap way to DIY is to salvage a washing machine or dishwasher inlet valve + hose and control the solenoid with a plug in timer or salvaged central heating control unit. You need to be able to knock up some sort of a box and make sure all the electrics are well insulated and earthed where appropriate.

I've an old washing machine that needs to go to the tip (drum has broken off the spider) but I'll rescue the inlet valves and any other goodies before I take it down. I've also a control unit kicking about somewhere :D

If anyone is interested I'll make one up as a project and post piccies and stuff.