Waxed roses & Christmas Bunches..

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Marley Farley, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :) As quite allot of you know I dip roses in wax for my Christmas bunches for outside.. They just make a change from wreathes sometimes..!!:)
    This year was not a good year for getting the roses to open & after I bought them either, I don't usually have this problem I think it was the cold frosty weather maybe had something to do with it...:dh::)

I had to turn the flash off as it burnt the white out, so sorry they are a bit dark..

Dipping a bud...

[​IMG]

You have to do this fast but fluent... After the wax dip plunge it into cold water immediatley to set the wax & reduce petal damage & keep the colour....

Close up of a dipped & cooled rose bud..! The wax protects the petals from frost & rain damage & prolongs the life of the flower, so these should still be looking good right over the Christmas period..!

[​IMG]

These have all been dipped.....

[​IMG]

I actually made 4 bunches but my daughter took hers before I could photograph it..!!:dh: I used the flash for these next three..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made from fresh greenery I gathered. Larch cones dipped in glitter for sparkle. A waft of silver paint on the ivy so that it is not thickly covered, but has that slight metallic look.. Holly from my SiL's farm & of course my dipped roses...!:wink::D

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Great idea Marley thanks for sharing it. We'll give it a try, but I think it will have to wait until next year as we've only got about one rose left!

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Oh, I've not seen this before - they are really lovely, Marley :gnthb:

Do you have a thread somewhere about them?

Do you just melt plain white candles for the wax, or is it a special wax that you have to buy in a handicraft shop?

4. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: Thanks Dave & Kedi, no I don't have another thread running on it Kedi, I had been talking in Wakey wakey about them.... Sadly the roses are not from the garden Dave, I wish they were, it would make the whole thing complete then...:wink:

:thmb: Kedi you use ordinary candle wax. I melt whatever colour wax to suit the colour of my roses... I think dark red are some of my favourites to do they come out looking like sumptuous velvet...!
    I did a special posie for a very special young girl about 10yrs ago now... They have never been outside, just kept in her cabinet.. The colour is still good in them even now..:)

:thmb: Some other flowers that wax well are, Daisies, Paper Whites, Tulips, Hycinths, Stephanotis, & other flowers that have a waxy type of flower...
    Avoid delicate flowers with thin petals like pansies as they will wither......

5. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Marley.

I have just sent this page to myself :D and I shall certainly try this out.

I have lots of wax bits that I save to throw into the open fire, so all I need now is a nice flower.

6. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Marley i have never done anything like this but o am going to try this can you give us moor hints pleas

mryxms

7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :) Hello High Kype, not really sure what tips you want, why not just ask me any questions about what you want to know..! :wink: Probably easier that way...:thumb:

8. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    morning Marley how do i melt the candle do i put it in a bowl over boiling watter thank you

xmastree

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :gnthb: Morning High Kype. yes if you look closely at the first pic I am using an old pyrex jug inside a saucepan of water.... Or if you have one an old double boiler...

I break the candle down into about 1" peices & pull out the wick & put in the jug.
    Fill saucepan just over half way up the jug & bring to the boil, turn down & simmer till all the wax has melted... Keep an eye on the water level...!!!!!!!!! The wax is quite slow to melt..

Take pan off heat...

Dip flower head into wax shake excess off gently & plunge into cold water...!! Stand in container to finish cooling & drain...

Voila...!!!!!!!!:gnthb: Hope that helps... Don't be frightened by the thought of what you are doing, just go ahead & do it, rather like cooking....!!!!!!:dh::hehe: Good Luck, let's see your finished flowers..!:thmb:

10. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Well I never!:idea:...you clever thing you !!!!
    That is such a brilliant idea.:gnthb:
    Excuse me for this but...
    We have been racking our brains trying to find a solution to stop rabbits from eating the flowers we put on loved ones memorials...and I do believe you have solved the problem. No need to resort to plastic ones now:D

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Thanks Pal:) You know you may have a point there about the wax.. I have put the larger of those bunches up at the church on the family plot & it stays lovely the whole time... The birds eat the holly berries but not the flowers.....!! Give it a try..!!:thmb: The Victorians started it I think...:)

12. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    going to do it today let you see how it turns out

mryxms

13. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    They look great Marley .gonna give it a go when I can ,just hope they look as good as your's .Many thanks for showing us all . xx :) :thumb:

14. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Marely you have done a fantastic job with those roses.:gnthb: I would never have dreamed of preserving them in wax.I wonder if my sister knows that trick as she is so good at crafts she would easily be able to do them,unlike me:o

15. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    brilliant job marley well done:gnthb: