1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weather Station

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, Nov 25, 2018.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    Hi All. Can any one recommend a wireless weather station they are using?
    I know you can get very good one from Oregon but so many models and a bit pricey. I know you get what you pay for but my main use of it is too look what the temperature is like outside before I go for my 2-3 mile jog.

I normally look on the met office forecast for my region but when I go outside it is nothing like what they say. I know the forecast is a general forecast and for a certain town or region but not what it is like in my garden.

I go out for a jog at 6am and if I do not dress accordingly I could be in trouble. Being asthmatic must dress warmly yet if too many layers you get too hot. I have learnt what minimum temps I can safely go out in but really need to really check temp in the garden first.
    There are a few stations out there around the £25 mark but not sure if they work OK.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi trogre, I use a Watson W-8681-PRO-II for use in my Astronomy and also as general garden weather indications. It's a wireless internet station that measures inside/outside temperatures, air pressure, humidity in/out, wind speed, wind gusts, rain measurements, storm threshold warnings, etc. It has to be set for the elevation of where you live among other things to get an accurate reading and, even then, might need a refresh of the actual display.

To be honest, if temperature monitoring is your prime concern then there are numerous "weather stations" that will serve that purpose and they're cheap enough. Don't expect "all singing, all dancing" expensive weather stations to get it exactly right every time as really they are just recording machines with a chip trying to work out what it thinks your weather is.:dunno:

National TV Weather forecasts now don't include air pressures in their displays but when they used to the pressure quoted was always that at sea level. So anyone, like me (37 meters above sea level), living above sea level has a different air pressure recorded. Regional forecasts are very vague even today because the science required for macro weather forecasting is not here yet so they are really, really general.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,198
      Hi,

An online friend is happy with his weather station, you can see some of it on his web page.
      Micro Heli.Co.Uk ( Weather station in the RH margin)
      It was sold by Maplin but expect its available or even updated on other sites.

If you really want just local information about the weather then you probably have several weather stations near you already which you can check in with for free as they serve some of these free forecast sites.
      Latest Metcheck Weather Forecast for Leeds/Bradford for Today and Tomorrow

Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local

Also lots of other similar private local stations etc if you search the web
      eg Independent Automatic Weather Stations in the UK - Prodata Weather Systems

001237.jpg 001238.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,222
        We have an Oregon (old, so probably has been superseded) that is fairly basic but gives us all we want. Time and date (radio signal to keep it set), outdoor temp (from a remote outside), indoor temp and barometric pressure forecast which we ignore as it is just as useless as the online forecasts.

It does a good job if you want to know the inside and outside temp and the right time/date. Has a radio signal to the remote and doesn't need Bluetooth/wifi.

• Like Like x 2
        • trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
          +279
          Thanks to all for your help, plenty for me to look into with hardware & very local forecasts.
          It seems only like last year but since time flys by it is probaly nearer several years but I remember the met office were spending about £60 million on a new computer which would make
          weather forecasts very much more accurate:heehee: When it all goes wrong they blame the wind speed which caught them out:oopss:

• Like Like x 2