Weather website for good local monitoring.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria Plum, May 18, 2010.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I know a lot of you probably know about this site, and use it. But I didn't know about it until last month, and I'm sure I can't be the only one!

Wunderground uses a variety of sources to give you the most local weather available. The page which I have linked is a list of all the local weather stations in the UK. If you scroll down to the very bottom and put your postcode in the 'Find the Weather for any City, State or ZIP Code, or Airport Code or Country' box it will give you your local conditions, plus a forecast. On scrolling down from this page it will also give you all the local weather stations so you can find your nearest one.

Just thought it might be of help while we are all biting our nails waiting for final frosts. I know a lot of allotment holders use the site.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/ListStations.asp?selectedCountry=United+Kingdom

2. Emmagowin

Emmagowin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi Victoria,

I am new to gardening so this one might be an old one too:http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOBBIES/gardening.asp

But it gives ground temperatures for local areas and as I'm about to put down nematodes, thats great for me. Wish me luck!

Cheers Emma

3. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks Emma,

Good luck! Damn slugs have been eating my bertolli beans.

To be honest I have become a little annoyed with metcheck lately. I used to use it all the time for the weather, but it never seems correct anymore.

The gardeners forecast may be different however, so I'll check it out.

4. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    i use the gadgets bar which is built in to win 7 . with the weather gadget.

5. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,647
  6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks - Victoria, kindredspirit and cajary. I have added those to my favorites.

I recently started to use the BBC one. I put it as my home page and put my browser in the start-up menu. So every time I switch my machine on, it brings up the forcast for the next week. It is good at making me aware of the chance of frost.