Weedkiller that does not kill moss or grass?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Drahcir, Jun 22, 2023.

1. Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,006
    Much of the lawn is moss and grass. The moss will have to be tolerated this year. What is there, if anything, that will destroy broad leaved plants but not moss or grass (or, preferably, daisies and clover either, but I am prepared to spend time spot weeding to limit damage to these other two)?

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,291
    Hi,

You want to use Weedol, widely available, applied with a sprayer or watering can and rose.

This time of year you want to use a lawn rake, hand or electric, to remove some of the moss so the grass has time to reclaim those areas.

Be wary of spot applications as its too easy to over apply and you end up burning the surounding grass making things even worse.

If you want to be so selective, eg leaving clover and daisies, then hand weeding is the real answer,

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Surely any lawn "weed and feed" will work, you will need to water it in well at this time of the year

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,006
      Any particular Weedol? I don't want to harm grass or moss at all. I will have to spot weed so as not to kill too much in the way of daisies and buttercups, because there are lots of those too. Just big, spreading broad leaved things that fasten themselves into the ground strongly, and often fan out below lawn mowing depths (plantain, thistle, ragwort, dock, dandelion sort of things). I am not looking for aperfect lawn, just some improvement inside three months maximium.

• Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,006
      No, unfortunately it won't, it will (as far as I know) kill moss, which mustn't happen.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,979
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        This one -

001837.jpg

However, your question and details do sound a bit contradictory, can you enlighten us ?

According to the Weedol label it does not mention Moss, and when we have used it there was certainly no noticable effect on any Moss, why are you so against anything affecting it now ?

At first , with you wanting to preserve some types of "weeds" thought you might be looking to create a wild lawn/medow etc but you clearly say you want a nice looking lawn ?

Can you see our confusion ? :)

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,006
          That might do the job, I'll look again later. A very quick look shows these things are "the same product":

Westland Resolva Ready to Use Extra Lawn Weedkiller 1L 0408569 £6.00
          Wilko Lawn Spot Weeder 50msq 1L 0342239 Was £4.00 £2.50

(except for the package and the price!)

Unsure why Wilko say "50 sq m".

• Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,006
          To explain to you, the lawn has unsightly larger weeds which I want gone, but it also contains moss and "weeds" like daisies which I don't want gone, or there will be large bare patches which will worsen the look for the rest of this year, which will be even worse than doing nothing.

Previously, pushing an old table knife in to cut tap roots has been an extremely short-term "fix". So I'm looking for some way of dealing with the "spottiness" for some months.

I'm leaning towards one or two bottles of Wilko ready-to-use with a spray collar if needs be.

• Like Like x 1
          • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
            +219
            Hi Drahcir
            If I read your requirements correctly, you, like me, want retain most of the plants growing in your "lawn", while being able to control flat growering plants like hawkweed, dandelions, etc.
            My solution is to use Glyphosate 360g/l (NOT the stuff from the garden centres, etc. which is 70g/l, if I remember correctly)

1L Gallup Home & Garden 360G/L Super Strength Glyphosate Weedkiller BEST PRICE 5051641304595 | eBay
            When needed, I apply 1 or 2 drops, using a dropper bottle,
            71jswGYrQKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
            into the centre of the rosette, and just walk away.
            Works everytime.
            Things like dock or ragwort, I just cut back and, again, apply 1 or 2 drops to the cut surface

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,291
              To be honest we would tackle things now while the grass is growing strongly rather than leaving to next year when things, particularly the moss, will be spreading even more.

We would treat the whole lawn with Weedol Lawn, it takes about 2 weeks for the effects to be seen as the weeds will start to grow even more before they then die out. Best if you can avoid cutting the grass /weeds during that time to let the Weedol work fully.

Sometimes you may need to use two applications, see the label, but its important not to overdo things as you can burn the grass.

Once the weeds have died back, give it a cut, then a hand or machine scarifying to remove as much moss as possible followed by a good lawn feed and if you want some over seeding.

It might look unsightly for a month or two but much better for the future imho.

It will work your way but think it will take you a lot more time and effort and the lawn will not look as good for much longer.

• Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,006
              Yes, that's right. Bare patches are extremely undesirable, I'd rather do nothing than have them.

I will look into this (by experimentation in an inconspicuous area). I've already got some Rosate 360 which will be about the same stuff. Maybe I can get a dropper bottle at the chemist.

Aside: The price! It's doubled in two years!

Aside: Also very good for killing ivy, bushes, small trees... make a downward cut in the stem, I use a small chopper, add concentrated glyphosate, 1-2ml (a syringe with a blunt needle is handy), job done.

• Like Like x 1
              • Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,006
                No time. Doing nothing is preferable to making it look worse in the next few months. I'll get on with the bodge!

• Like Like x 1
                • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
                  +219
                  Yes. Same stuff.
                  Inevitably you will have a bald patch the size of the rosette after it dies, but that will fill in with something else fairly quickly if we ever get any rain.
                  As you have small syringes, they work just as well, if not better. You dont even need the blunt needle. I've actually just bought 100 x 3ml pet/baby with caps (£9.99), as the rubber top to my dropper was again starting to perish.