weeds and moss on block paving.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by waggie, Jul 6, 2014.

1. waggie

waggie Apprentice Gardener

Warehouse Worker. (Frozen Foods)
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yet again I have to take a pressure washer to my block paving, the main problem is that every year there is a big problem with weeds growing through the joints of the block paving, I have thought that this year I would add a weed killer to the dry sand. Has any body any ideas or could this work and stop the weeds growing through.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,893
    The ideal thing would be to use mortar between the blocks. You could use a glyphosate based, systemic weed killer like Round-Up and spray them, that will kill the roots too but be careful not to let it drift as it kills almost anything it touches. Ideally with any existing weeds don't let them self seed but that won't stop seeds from blowing in from elsewhere.

3. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    I find that most of them will wash out with the power washer. I spot-spray the really resistant ones with roundup and then brush kiln dried sand in which lasts for the whole year.

4. waggie

waggie Apprentice Gardener

Warehouse Worker. (Frozen Foods)
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's what I do every year, I was wondering if there could be a more permanent solution.

5. zappamusic2010

zappamusic2010 Gardener

Secondary School Teacher
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi Waggie.
    Below my bird feeder I get little seedlings coming through the cracks in the paving (obviously from the feeder)
    Didn't want to use the weed killer as the birdies go mad on a morning picking up all the left over dropped seed. Wonderful to watch.
    Anyway, to the point, the missus bought me one of those gardening blow torches. A cheapy one from Lidl. Once a week I burn away the seedlings growing from the paving cracks before they get into their stride. However I accidentally caught the moss with the flame and it went up in a roar of flame (then put itself out). It killed the moss quickly, prevented it from spreading & before I knew it, moss gone & problem over. Saved me scraping it off (which took ages) every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    I use boiling water every now and then and that works a treat you can also put salt in the cracks but that does wash out