weeds in new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by mcmac74, Jul 12, 2007.

1. mcmac74

mcmac74 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My new turf is about 12 weeks old now and generally looks great....however, i'm just about to mow and have noticed some broard leaf weeds have appeared. I dug over the entire area before laying but obviously some tap roots were too far down to dig out. I'm told that no treatments should be applied to a new lawn but i'd really like to get rid of the weeds. One person has suggested cutting a bottle in half, poking the leaves through the top and spraying 'round up' on the leaves, thus avoiding getting any on the turf. Any other options or should i leave well alone and treat next year with an all purpose feed and weed killer?

Thanks, mark

2. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dig out by hand if can, then next April use a weed feed and moss killer sprinkled on. I use it once a year and have had no weeds for about 6 yrs now and it's B&Qs own!

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    mcmac, get hold of a weed pencil or touch weeder. David.

4. carolla

carolla Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have babys tears spreading in my lawn and evergreen weedkiller doesnt touch it.help carolla

5. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont usually bother too much about weeds in my lawn, with a dog and 2 kids I am never going to have a show lawn. What I do sometimes on the lawn and definatley on the paths and flower beds to get rid of weeds is use salt, you have to wait til the weather is dry and going to stay dry for a day or so and place a small amount of salt in the middle of the weed you want rid off. it draws out the water from the plant and kills it without harming any surounding plants and then washes away without leaving any harmful chemicals

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Works on slugs too Dave :D

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The best weedkiller for lawns is Verdone 2.

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Verdone will be fine but use a dribble bar or a sprayer NOT a watering can ( works best with fine droplets).

I use Bayer spearhead although a profeshional use product it is close in composition to verdone.

9. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have eliminated all weeds in a lawn by regular scarifying. Grass seems to be the only thing that can withstand this treatment. Scarifying is best done just prior to mowing, so the leaves of the weeds are set up to be chopped off by the mower. So if you have the time and energy it is an alternative to chemicals, some of which sound pretty noxious when you read the labels.