1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weeds in seeded lawn

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by lmm, Sep 11, 2017.

1. lmm

lmm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Myself and my partner have recently purchased a new house. The garden is quite large and we're very keen to start gardening as this is our first property.

Part of the back lawn had lots of moss. We sacrificed the moss and put moss killer down. We have airated the ground and laid new hrsss seeds and some top soil.

The new grass is growing back but weeds are also growing through. How do we stop the weeds going through? I've read that not to pull out new weeds as it will encourage new ones to grow through. What would you recommend?

Thanks

L

Attached Files:

2. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    @Imm :sign0016: to GC ......the weed i see mostly in your lawn is called Silver weed, here's some info on it. As a Gardener who is pollinator friendly i could only go down to route that ive put in bold letters- but obviously, that is your choice - granted the first choice will be a little more work but far better health wise for yourselves and the environment :)
    Wishing you all the best in your new home and garden :spinning:

Prevention and control of silverweed
    Silverweed can be prevented from establishing by carrying out the correct turf care practices, that will in turn create healthy, vigorous turf. This included applying adequate nutrition, regular aeration and scarification.

Handweeding can be effective if the weed has not established fully.

Irrigate during hot, dry periods to avoid stressing and weakening the turf.

Chemicals can be used on silverweed, but it is moderately resistant to many active ingredients, so a repeat application about 4-6 weeks following the initial application may be required.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Sep 11, 2017