1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Weeds or not: pretty anyway

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Jack Sparrow, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Super Gardener

Taxi Driver
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    image.jpeg

I currently have several clumps of this growing where my rockery used to be. The whole plant measure 4/5" across by 3ish" high. There are dark green clover like leaves turning a lovely plum colour. The small buttercup yellow flowers stand on long stems. I'm sure it's a weed but could it be cultivated as looks as though it could be useful if controlled properly?

G.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +3,616
    It is a weed.....think it is an oxalis....but it is troublesome. Once you have it you never lose it. Springs up everywhere and anywhere and will colonise.
    Dig it out Gary.....I know, pretty flowers, pretty coloured foliage :nonofinger: Do not be deceived and allow any to prosper.
    I dont know how it came here but I suspect it was in compost or bought in plant.:dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Super Gardener

Taxi Driver
      Ratings:
      +1,023
    • Clare G

Clare G Gardener

Ratings:
      +262
      Yes - it's oxalis corniculata. In my experience not as invasive as its bigger, pink-flowered relative oxalis latifolia - that's the one I root out on sight, the corniculata I tolerate in a few otherwise-hard-to-get-anything-to-grow spots. Oxalis/RHS Gardening

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1