Weeds taking over

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jakleb, Feb 17, 2011.

1. jakleb

jakleb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI all

i sowed a new lawn from scratch in Oct 10 and it has came on well, i have yet to cut it and now alot of weeds have came up to. should i use weed killer on it soon or wait until better weather or should i cut it first, the weather is rubbish at the minute raining all the time.

many thanks

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Jakleb. I wouldn't put weed killer on it just now - waste of time and money.
    They don't work below a certain temperature and would just get washed off with the rain.
    I would wait until after the grass has had it's first cut and see how things look then.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think Alice is right. Leave the lawn until it's ready for the first cut and then see what the weed situation is. I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect lawn. I had both my front and rear lawns for 30 years and despite all my efforts and care it's never a realisation of my dreams. But now I have weeds in small numbers which I paint with an artist's paint brush dipped in neat weed killer -but it's a never ending job!!

4. housesecond

housesecond Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Weed killers don't work at low temperatures as there's no photosynthesis taking place. Wait till the grass is actively growing (when the soil temps are above about 7 degrees)

5. jakleb

jakleb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0