1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome

Discussion in 'Hook, Line and Sinker' started by Phil A, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well this is it:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

We finally have our own little Beach shelter to share fishy tales and cook up the catch.

Lets not just make it about fishing though, lets do a celebration of all things to do with our glorious seaside, mussels, cockles, seaweeds and coastal plants:thumbsup:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    That's what I thought when posting this on the introduction thread:
    So also the likes of Alexanders alongside the path to the beach then?

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutly, and the Wild Leeks and Samphire, Sea kale, Sea Beet, Fennel.

In fact, anything to do with your fishing and forraging trip including how you processed/smoked/dried/pickled or otherwise preserved your catch/forrage or even berry picking.

I know a lot of us are into that sort of thing so lets see how this goes:dbgrtmb:

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Be good to get a few threads in here,as I feel we were lacking this type of area here on GC.

Hope you like the new Forum :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
    • bi9johnny

bi9johnny Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      what a cool idea to combine all things fishy foraging and associated loveliness.....
      having been a fishmonger for 8 years and then owning a fishing/shooting shop for another 8 years this is just up my street and i hope to contribute.... i am also a keen smoker of all things edible

now i.m thinking smoked mussels and garlic sauce....gotta go bye mmmmmmmmm

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        :hapfeet: A great idea Zig, a fishy forum..!! :heehee:
        :DOH: Oooh you lot are making me hungry already & no one has caught anything yet..!!! :thumbsup: Looking forward to some nice fishy photos as well then...

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        My friend took a fishing trip to Russia.. Just one of many Salmon caught..

[​IMG]

He is in Scotland fishing this week so will see what he caught when he gets back.. :sunny:

• Like Like x 1
        • Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
          Ratings:
          +1,667
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Blimey, thats twice the size of the ones down at West Bay.:dbgrtmb:

[​IMG]

They circle about in the harbour waiting for the tide to be high enough to get over the sluice under the bridge in the back ground, to get up the river to spawn.

The Mullet hang out in the harbour and the river. Those you can see spawning in the harbour, the spawning fish is followed by several others.

• Like Like x 2
          • moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +9,817
            Hi Ziggy, my son is coming down to fish at Throop next week. I hope I have spelt it right. I hope he is not going to be disappointed. He goes on from there to Polperro to fish with an old friend who has a commercial fishing boat there in Polperro.

He never brings anything back unfortunately as it would no longer be fresh by the time he did. He had enough fishing gear out in my lounge this morning to open his own tackle shop!!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi Moyra,

Oh yes, a fishing trip needs to be organised in advance. Takes me a week to get everything ready if i'm going out in a boat, no good getting out there & finding something missing or broken. Don't want to be sat on a boat for 8 hours not fishing.

He could do what I do if he wants to bring some catch back.

Fillet the fish and put a layer of salt in an ice cream tub or similar, put the fillets on the layer, then add another layer of salt, more fillets, salt and so on till the tub is full up.

To use them, they'll need the salt soaking back out, usually a couple of changes of fresh water.

Should be a good trip at this time of year.

• bambooruth

bambooruth Gardener

gardener
            Ratings:
            +313
            [​IMG] creel fishing for prawns and spinies in the minch

• Like Like x 4
            • moyra

Retired
              Ratings:
              +9,817
              Thanks Ziggy, of course I have heard of salt preservation but the lad can't be dealing with that. I think he is going to leave it until the last day of sea fishing and bring some of that catch back in his cool box with his ice pack. We shall see. He left this morning at 5am and phoned to say he had arrived in Throop at 8 am. I phoned him late this afternoon to see if he had caught anything from the Stour but he said all he has done so far is sus out his spots and bait them up for tomorrow, so we shall see how he gets on.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              That'll probably still be a lot fresher than most of the fish you buy from the supermarket. If you think about it, a lot of fish spend a few days on a trawler & then have to be distributed all round the country.

Sounds like he knows his stuff, hope he has a good trip:thumbsup:

• moyra

Retired
              Ratings:
              +9,817
              He went down to the Stour today, was hauling in a Perch when a cheeky nice sized Pike decided it was just what he wanted so helped himself to it off his line. Tomorrow he is going back with his Pike gear! Lol. That Pike is going to pay for his meal! Still he'll live to see another day! If you saw the tackle he took with him - Rods, lines, tackle and bait for every eventuality!

• Like Like x 1