Well I didn't plant them

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by HBK, Oct 31, 2010.

1. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    An array of plants have started to grow in my front garden and I don't know what they are or where they came from.
    [​IMG]
    They're quite nice and I will be moving them to the back garden no matter what but I would still like to know what they are and what they will grow up to look like. Thanks a lot.

Edit: No comments about the state of the garden :D I don't like the front garden so don't bother maintaining it.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Hmm... Not sure but to me they look like one of the Willow Herb family - Onagraceae if they had pink flowers.... Pink spikes & they are Rosebay Willow herb.. Small indevidual pink flowers probably one of the other Rosebays as there are several different ones....

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Whatever they are, I'm guessing they spead like crazy and if it is willow herb, I get rid of it.
    The rest look like nettles and dandelions.:wink:

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  5. Catherine

Catherine Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HBK, Willowherb may have looked attractive to you for a few weeks, but it spreads like wildfire and might become your worst enemy if you don't deal with it now.

If you want to get on with your neighbours, you must get rid of these plants - though since they have seeded already, you might even find it hard to contain their descendants yourself over the next few years!:(

When the seeds take flight, their cloud of fluff moves where the wind takes it, and sows its seeds wherever it lands.

If your front garden is the same size as those across the road, why not cut down overgrowth, dig out the variety of weeds you have there, and lay it to lawn? That will make it easy to look after while you set out your back garden, and will give you more time to glean ideas as to how to create a front space which will 'welcome' anyone who passes through your gate!:)

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Willow herb and they probably blew in from a garden that isn't maintained.
    Having had a peep over the wall, could it be next door's :D:hehe:

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Don't transplant s00k

Exterminate!!!! :gnthb: :lollol:

9. builderboy

builderboy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what the "plants" are, but speaking with my bricky's hat on, i would deal with the moss growing on the brickwork, it will allow water to sit in the joints, and come winter will expand and destroy the brickwork, a quick squirt of roundup and a little wirebrushing is all it would take.