Well .... my 'ghast' is absolutely 'flabbered'!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Daisies, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    About 6 weeks ago I purchased a combi/microwave from Amazon which was about 30% less than RRP and free delivery!. Well yesterday it started showering sparks all over - scary - a veritable fireworks display! So naturally I got onto Amazon to see about a repair.

But .... instead of the inevitable 0870 number to spend ages waiting for a reply, I got a pop-up box with choices "call me immediately, in 5, 10 or 15 mins". Not unnaturally I chose immediately. Instantly my phone started ringing and after barely 2 mins I was talking to a real, live person! Not only that but when I described my problem she just said "When do you want the new appliance delivered"!!

I was so taken aback, I couldn't speak! "You mean when do I want a repair man to call?" I corrected.

"No, we'll send you a new oven. When will be convenient?"
    "What kind of time frame are we talking about?"
    "How about today?"

I ended up agreeing to Wednesday and they are taking the old oven away at the same time!

Now, THAT'S what I call service!!

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Gosh that is good. My Combi/micro/oven was a big disappointment. After a year the Microwave part stopped working leaving only the oven.

Amazon are my first port of call these days for buying anything. Nice to hear a good service recommendation too rather than just a cracking price. [​IMG]

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Daisees - thats so nice to hear. I am always apprehensive when buying on the internet, but I felt that Amazon was one place that could be trusted.

I wish I could say the same about PC World. A few days ago my CRT gave up and I needed to replace it by a flat screen display. As I am still on Windows 98, I was a little concerned about compatability. PC World said it might work, but don't think about returning it if it didn't. Luckily a small shop was much more helpful and got my business.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    PC World is in the same group as Dixons/Currys. Dixons is now the on-line bit of the business. Some years ago I bought a printer from HIgh Street Dixons. It lasted a week before going wrong so I took it back and asked for a replacement. They didn't have one in stock but told me to leave it with them. After a week I went in again to find out where my replacement was. They said they were having difficulty getting one so I asked for a refund. They then announced that they had lost mine so I couldn't have a refund. After 2 months of arguing I took them to County Court. They lost. I think they have never heard of the Sale of Goods Act or other consumer rights.

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    John thats shocking..were they denying you took it back?

6. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    That is mental ! don't forget that Pixmania is also in that group now too.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    John a little word to the wise most of you may know one of my son's work at PC World and it's common knowledge if you have a problem at the service desk all you have to do is 'kick off on one' even if you're in the wrong 9 times out of 10 the managers always gives the customer what they want.

My son says it's against the stores policy to give in but the managers just don't like the hassle of a peed off customer!

Keep it to yourself John nudge, nudge, wink, wink! :D
    Helen.xxx.

8. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Helen,

I can vouch for the 'kick off' approach, takes me back a couple of years but a guy had rung the store to ask if they had a certain item, he was told yes they do, he arrived to find they didn't have it so he kicked off and told them he had travelled some unbeleivable distance. I think he got some vouchers or something [​IMG]

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    We have had the same good service from Amazon regarding returns. We ordered a 12 dvd set for our son's birthday last year sent to him at uni. When he opened it there were no dvds in the box, contacted Amazon and they sent a replacement before we sent the other one back, although this was done only by emails it was still an effecient service.

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Sounds like good service from Amazon, and I agree it is, but lets not forget, firstly your oven shold not have packed up after only six weeks Daisees.
    And as for your one strongy, how does a twelve set of DVDs get sent out without the DVDs [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Dee. No they admitted I took it back, I'm not that daft, I got a receipt. Their defence at County Court was that as they had lost it, they couldn't be sure that it wasn't me that had knackered it. The judge absolutely laid into them but I think they are not quite as bad now. Helen it was before the days of PC World but that company don't come out in customer feedback looking too good. I certainly wouldn't shop there.

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Actually, my setting fire to a handful of chestnuts whilst attempting to roast them might have had something to do with it but I didn't mention that!! [​IMG] :rolleyes: :D

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Pete, I reckon it was a production cock up or unseen theft at source, will never know.

BM, I hoped I would never hear the name pixmania again, had to send a faulty camera back to France took 2 months of countless phone calls and emails for eventual replacement. :mad: :mad:

14. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    For the most part I avoid the whole group TBH. I did buy my LCD from Currys (faulty) and had to go nuclear to get an upgraded replacement (hard to believe I know). I did get a good deal in the end paying �£749 for a �£1500 LCD so I think they got beaten !

I use amazon more and more and have bought cameras, magimix, Stock Pots, DVD players, camera equipment, memorycards, DVDs, CDs, Toys. They seem to do everything if not cheapest then very close to the cheapest but with the piece of mind reliability.

15. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076