1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s going on?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Markymark, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    hmmmmm.... this year, a few of my perennials seem to be showing signs of the new leaves growing all shrivelled up and wrinkly (not very technical I know). I’ve just taken this rudbeckia leaf from my garden to show the panel of experts. Any ideas? I don’t really want to spray anything on my garden because i try to steer away from chemicals. (The slugs love me cos I can’t even kill them! )

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,639
      Its obviously pest damage of some kind.
      Often aphids cause damage to leaves that are just forming, as the leaf grows the damage tends to grow as well.
      Not say it was aphids, but it might have been.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Hi Mark, I think that damage could be the result of mealy bugs.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,051
      Have a closer look with a magnifying glass to see any tiny bugs.

If its just a few leaves then I would not worry, if it's affecting the whole plant then you need to do something. I use a very dilute soap spray to control some of the bugs on plants on my garden. You need a pure soap, you can buy expensive horticultural soap from Garden Centres. I use cheap Stergene the one without any additives. One teaspoon in a pint of water. It's not 100% effective but help to control certain bugs.

• Like Like x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,051
        Where have you got your plants Mark? Are they in a greenhouse, I would get them outside in cooler less humid conditions sometimes helps.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        @Markymark - bet you have lots of happy hedgehogs in your garden. I don`t use chemicals either, and find it all sorts itself out most of the time. I have, however been known to pop slugs into a salt pot, and I can be evil with vine weevil - they play dead with me, and I smack them with my hammer :ouch1:

• Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
        Ratings:
        +125
        Just taken a few extra pics today. Whatever it is, it’s affecting my (sorry for misspellings) rudbeckia, lavender, sunflowers and some other tall thing (ha ha) . I’m not happy at the moment! All these plants are outside in my border. The wind also flattened half of my garden on Friday so I feel really fed up . It’s just like the growing tips are all crinkled and chewed.

Attached Files: