What are these seedlings?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Gumbert, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Gumbert

Gumbert Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A few months ago I bought some of those "education" sets, where you're given packets of seeds from interesting plants, some compost and a little pot.
    One of them was a pack of 6, with 2 supposedly being cape sundews and venus fly traps but these two pics show some seedlings that look nothing like them. Anyone know what they are?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    The top one looks very much like a sunflower to me.

Bottom one, I don't know. Lemon balm or summat, possibly.

3. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Gumbert, the first looks like common chickweed, and the second, ground ivy.... but hopefully I'm totally wrong. Watch out for other responses...

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Certainly looks like the original seeds died and you now have interlopers!

5. Gumbert

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

Not sure they are weeds. If they are then they've been growing very slowly, though they are being kept in boggy conditions which may well slow them down

It's really hard to tell what they are, especially the top one, as they're so generic looking.
    The top one was from the drosera seed bag, and the seeds were quite dust like if I remember right, if that helps
    I can't remember how the seeds for the second one looked sadly

6. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Haha. Seedling ID ing is one of the trickiest bits of gardening I find.

I'll eat my hat if the top one is a carniverous plant. But I don't think it's chickweed either. I suspect the bottom one is invader though.

You've started me off though - I need to know what they are or it'll annoy me!

How long ago did you sow, what conditions have you kept them in (just in a warm greenhouse or windowsill?) and how big are they, exactly? It's slightly difficult from your pic to get scale. The top one is 4 inches or so from soil to top leaves, right?

7. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    The top one actually looks like a Fuschia to me, a bit difficult to tell for sure as it's slightly out of focus. Dunno the bottom one.

Cheers...freddy.

8. Gumbert

Ratings:
    +0
    The pots they're in are 4cm in diameter at the top, so I'd say the plants are about 6 or 7 cm tall.

I think I planted those ones mid august, maybe early september, and it took them a few weeks to sprout. The plants in the bottom pic - when they sprouted they didn't grow much at all for a few weeks, just small dicot leaves, then they just burst into life. The one in the top pic has been a steady grower

They're in a propagator (2 tubs stacked on each other really), so they're getting a lot of heat and humidity, but not so much sunlight - on an east window, being supplimented by a 120watt equivalent energy saving bulb, and I doubt that's giving the full spectrum of light they need, so the chances are these seedlings are a lot more spindley than they would be in normal conditions.

I'll try to take a better pic tomorrow - it's a mobile phone camera, and it doesn't do close ups well at all.

The bottom pic is of 4 plants - 3 largish ones, and one just poking through now. They've come up where I planted the seeds so I don't think they're something that in that silver sand to begin with

They're from this kit. The catnip, mimosa, telegraph and sunflower plants are all fine

[​IMG]

I was so happy when those seeds germinated - I thought I had a good batch of vft seeds. Got a load of genuine ones in the fridge now though, just hope these germinate

9. Gumbert

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so they're about between 6 to 10cm tall
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Lovage

Lovage Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the 2nd picture was a Nepeta - then you went on to say one was Catnip, so that will be it

11. Gumbert

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh nonono. I meant I got this box with 6 seed sets - 4 of them I know, including the catnip, but these 2 sets in the pics were meant to be carnivorous plants, yet they're not.

12. Gumbert

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Christ, you're right. The second ones are catnip.

Which leaves me wonder what these are in this pic then, if they're not catnip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Good ringer for a fuchsia tbh ?

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I would guess at busy lizzie, but not sure about the hairy stem.

I'm also confused as to what exactly a "Dancing grass plant" is?

15. Gumbert

Ratings:
    +0
    Dancing grass is cardariocalyx motorius, telegraph or semaphore plant. It's very heliotropic and can see them move their leaves to follow the light. Apparently they react to sound by shuddering to it, but I think my seedlings are too young for that just yet