What are these shoots and how can I get rid of them?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by tommyrot, Oct 17, 2024 at 2:47 PM.

1. tommyrot

tommyrot Gardener

Ratings:
    +25
    Hi folks,

Horror of horrors, I'm finding little grass-like shoots poking through my new(ish) gravel garden. See image. I have three of these sprouting up in different areas. Does anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it?

There is a membrane and I suppose no membrane provides 100% protection, and the rest is holding up very well, but I would like to get on top of this before it becomes too established. (The garden was a complete jungle beforehand.)

To counter this blight, last week I snipped the shoots and sprayed glyphosate down the shoots, but I see that since then they have only grown. If they can survive glyphosate I shudder to think what I'll have on my hands soon.

What would you do/try?

As ever, I appreciate your help.

Update: To clarify, they're annoyingly brittle shoots so they snap when pulled. Given the resistance, I suspect the roots lie beneath the membrane. I can't get to the roots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 2:57 PM
  2. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,897
    Well ... possibly I have low standards of neatness, but I would not call that an invasion. ;) Just pluck 'em out by hand. Poison is overkill.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,536
      Hello, the principle of glyphosate is that it works on green top growth and travels down to kill the roots, so the more leaf area there is the better it works. It's not instant, though.
      A bit 'overkill' really, if it's just annual grass :biggrin: Have you tried pulling it out? If it resists strongly, then it could be couch grass in which case two or three doses of glypho will do the trick eventually.

• tommyrot

tommyrot Gardener

Ratings:
      +25
      Thanks for these early replies. To clarify, they're annoyingly brittle shoots so they snap when pulled. Given the resistance, I suspect the roots lie beneath the membrane. I can't get to the roots unfortunately.

(I might add this to the original thread, for others wondering likewise.)

• Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
      +415
      They look like bulbs of some kind which are emerging at around this time. They have brittle stems because the bulb anchors them pretty well, especially if it has a membrane to push against.

If you keep pulling them they will give up eventually but they will only be an issue for you for part of the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,559
        Did you have bluebells or muscari there? Looks lie one of those to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +93,105
          Leave to grow until next spring and then hit with glyphosate around April.

• Plantminded

Plantminded Head Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,365
          That looks like Equisetum to me. The stems are brittle because they contain silica. It is invasive and can become difficult to eradicate. You need to crush the stems before applying a systemic weedkiller so that it can enter the internal tissue and travel down to the rhizomes underground. The outside of the stem is impermeable and won’t allow chemicals to pass through. The plant needs to be actively growing for systemic weed killers to work and it could take several applications, although success depends on how extensive the rhizomes are. If you prefer not to use weedkillers, regularly removing the top growth, either by hand or mechanically can weaken the plant. If you try to dig up the rhizomes, be thorough as small sections left behind can regrow.

• Informative Informative x 1
            Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 4:54 PM
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +123,162
            It's possible that it is equisetum but you need to let it grow for us to be able to identify it. It is also the wrong time of year to use weedkiller on it.

The RHS recommends not using weedkiller which is a laudable idea but rarely practical in most gardens. Their method takes many years and limits what can be done in the area.

Let grow until the Spring, April at least, then if it is equisetum you will need to crush it to some extent before apply a systemic weedkiller. The usual way to do it is whacking it with the back of a spade before applying the killer.

Let it grow, take a close up of the growth and we should be able to advise.

• Plantminded

Plantminded Head Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +3,365
            If the green shoots are still actively growing and you are impatient, you could try using a systemic weedkiller now. October is not ideal timing but unseasonally warm temperatures can extend the growth period of many plants, including weeds, so you may have some success.