1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading? 2019

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Dips, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    I'm reading The Third Man at the moment and really enjoying it. It's in a hardback copy that has three Graham Greene books;
    1. The Tenth Man - little known but I really do recommend this!
    2. The Third Man - need I say more. Halfway through it but even though I know the story inside out (the film is one of my all time faves) it is still an enjoyable read.
    3. Our Man in Havana - next to be read.
    I find a lot of old writers a stodgy read but Graham Greene is different. The only struggle is putting it down.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Well i'm over half way through my book but purchased another today...as i like a book on standby :snorky: and i thought i'd swap to a Rengency book by a different seller but the book as good ratings :)

[​IMG]

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,361
      @longk you can read other books with "Man" in the title. :blue thumb: :heehee:

Here are a few classics :) - or to paraphrase George Orwell - "some are more classic than others"

Man and Superman ... George Bernard Shaw
      The Old Man And The Sea ... Ernest Hemmingway
      A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man ... James Joyce
      The Man In The High Castle ... Philip K Dick
      The Invisible Man ... H. G. Wells
      Man In The Iron Mask ... Alexander Dumas
      The Man Who Was Thursday ... G. K. Chesterton
      The Man In The Grey Flannel Suit ... Sloane Wilson
      The Man Who Sold The Moon ... Robert A Heinlein (One of my top 5 SF writers)
      The Man With The Golden Gun ... Ian Fleming

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Not forgetting................
        • The Man Who Fell To Earth
        • A Man Called Ove
        • The Green Man
        • The Man Who Would Be King
        • The Elephant Man

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          [​IMG]

This book i started earlier...that's through the window :gaah: waste of money and bl__dy boring :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Found me a series of books this morning after taking me ages but finally got there :yahoo:

First one ...Fragments of Grace : Book one of the Dragonblade series by Kathryn Le Veque

• Like Like x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              #1 son bought me this for Mother's Day and last night I thought it was about time I opened it :redface:

[​IMG]

First few chapters seem a bit ... 'rushed' and somewhat ... flimsy, but, hey ho, I'll carry on with it as he and I often share books and he'll want my opinion on it when I've finished.

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                M your the first person i've ever heard say sharing their books with the sons plus opinions after...that's nice mate :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  I'll get #1 son to post that later so you can say you've heard it twice ;)
                  We share a love of reading and his reading ability was way ahead of his peers because of it. It's better than nice, its a real bond we have. We don't always read the same genre though but we do swaps when we've both run out of reading material.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    My dear wife Valerie was an avid reader. I am sure there are some of the titles mentioned here that are on our shelves.

Sadly due to glaucoma, I don't read as much as I used to. I love books that put me in the picture. Like it was in childhood days, Saturday morning pictures, and YOU were the hero. Val did introduce me to Clive Cussler books. I find a problem here. OK I liked Jack Higgins also. With fiction the author so often compiles a kind of data bank. So you are enjoying the read and then, a familia few paragraphs appear.

Even now aged 78 I am still studying and researching. So much of my reading entails research. It's just an oddity about me. I want to know. I want to learn. Apart from using the internet, save pounds in buying books. My latest book is. Maggots, Murder, and men. By Dr. Zakaria Erzinclioglu. It's about Forensic Entomology

• Like Like x 3
                      Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
                    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                      I wanted to give this one a great review on the premise that the blurb promised a "breakout psychological thriller". Did it deliver? Not in my opinion. It wasn't a poor read, it simply wasn't what it was hyped up to be! Silence of the Lambs (in my opinion) is very much a "psychological thriller"; this ... wasn't. More of a damp squib. In a "good" book there tends to be a character that you can either relate to, or at the very least, like. None of the characters in this book gave that. In which event, look to the plot. The reviews which stated such promise as "you're in for surprises until the very last page" ... leave much to be desired because there really wasn't any surprises; or at least, no "surprises" which haven't been seen before.

I don't regret the time spent reading it, but I can say that I wouldn't recommend it because of its predictability. It wasn't "new", it wasn't ground breaking and, most likely, in a few weeks time, I will (hopefully) have forgotten I've read it on the basis that there are far better books out there that I have already read and which would still hold "surprises" if I read them a second time!

Moving on ...

• Like Like x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        Well i've been doing some reading with Kathryn Le Veque books and they've been wonderful :yay:to read.
                        Yesterday i purchased another book by Wendy Vella supposed to be a new writer and the book sounds good...so i'll see what it's like later today plus there's a series of these books :yahoo:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                          Ratings:
                          +89,807
                          Good morning I am still reading Dorothy Wordsworth's journals,in fact I always take them on my walks and pause somewhere in a quiet spot:smile:

Wordsworth's "exquisite sister," as Coleridge described her, was not only the cherished companion of the two poets, but also a writer who possessed a genuine poetic imagination in her own right. The journals she kept at Alfoxden, in 1798, where her brother and Coleridge were composing the Lyrical Ballads and at Grasmere from 1800 to 1803, when she and Wordsworth were living at Dove Cottage are printed here for the first time as Dorothy wrote them. Two of Dorothy's poems are included in the appendix, along with thirty-three poems by Wordsworth, which are referred to in the journals.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            I think it's disgusting @wiseowl how years ago women had to go under false names just to get their writing printed.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                            Ratings:
                            +89,807
                            Good afternoon @Gail_68 I'm only reading it my friend am I missing something:dunno::scratch:

I know that the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen used male pseudonym names when they first started writing,Jane Austen used "A lady" but Dorithy Wordsworth was William Wordsworth's sister:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                              Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.