What are your GARDENING plans for 2009 ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Banana Man, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    So what are you planning for the garden in 2009 ?:D

I am going to be planting more ferns and shaping my canopy for maximum foliage size in 2009. I am also considering a front garden change with some tree shaping.

This is last year and there is now another 14 months of growth on what you see:lollol:
    Lost in the banana forest:D

[​IMG]

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    I hope that mine becomes more of a jungle like yours, Babe, and hopefully my Brug will grow humongous now that it's in the ground. :thumb:

3. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    The Paulownia is nearly at house roof level, can you imagine all that energy in a reduced height frame, waiting, bulging, bursting in 2009:luv:

I think you should do more spikey plants :)

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    [​IMG] Thats Fantastic BM. The wildlife you attract must be amazing.. The dark red tree on the right, What is it and how big does'e it grow? I would love one, Your Treeferns are the icing on the cake :) sets the rest of the Plants off, and how do you manage to shape them, you must have a big Ladder :)

Found a pic of another border, im changing into tropicals..The lavenders going, its woody an far too big now..This is where i would like the Reddy looking tree, and I have a new canna, and some canna seeds from LoL, Thanks hun, PM you... Were hoping to gut the front garden next year, Massive job, with huge shrubs and Conifers, I hate it...

Hoping to be the new tropical border in 2009.. on the right of the pic..

[​IMG]

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I will be trying to build up a forest floor garden by adding yet more trees-you won`t be getting a suntan in my garden by the time I am done LOL.

Perfecting the peony bed-still unsure as to whether to interplant with roses or try using hazel to provide some support for them. That or hydrangeas-just can`t decide.

I have a veg patch starting up-that`s almost ready now. Hubby is putting the finishing touches to the small pond which is there to attempt to further attract some more critters.

But the big plan is to attempt to resist moving plants around-which is my curse.

6. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Hi Dee:luv:

The red tree is a Prunus Nigra, doesn't grow very big very fast, and is easily pruned as it is often used as ornate hedging.

We do get our fair share of wild life and the occasional Sparrow Hawk:cool:

Pruning is always done with a very sharp extended lopper. Small bits at a time to negate the need to shout timber :D

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ill write that down BM, it sounds perfect, Gett'n all excited now, what was just a thought is turning into reality, in my head anyway:thumb: I think i need some of them extended loppers for my ivy, I cant reach the top..Again your garden is Amazing :luv: ...Dee..

8. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I hope to get a little more structure into my garden next year.
    It's a bit hit and miss at the moment.
    To mixed up with plants that don't go together.
    Some that were here when we moved in years ago.
    I have had a good sort out over the passed weeks so ready now to re-plant.
    I would love a tropical look but fear they would suffer and not grow well in the midlands.
    I also love the Japanese look garden with Asaelas and Acers.
    I do have some of these and love them in the Spring and early summer.
    They seem to grow well here.
    Any suggestions of what to grow that is tropical or Japanese looking but hardy would be gratefully received.

9. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Dee, I will send you a gunnera next year if you remind me:) My sale for Nathan was a flop but I can see a baby that would be a nice gift to you :):thumb:

Lyn start with cheap plants that you can do yourself. I bought some Edios (weird potato shaped root veg I think) from the fruit and veg section in tescos. 8 for £2 or something. They are basically big colacasia for the summer. Bring them in for the winter and they will get even better for the following year.

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    B/M did you or did you not overwinter your Washy Palm outside last winter,how did it fare? I have 5 that are getting rather big probably only have room for 2 inside so they may have to take a chance.

11. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    The process of our back valley will continue. And most of the upper gardens will just be in maintance mode. I will probably have to split some bulb beds this spring. Would love to take a tree or two down.

12. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Like Lyn I would like to get more structure into my garden next year. Because I have such a small garden I keep trying different plants and flowers so nothing really gets established, which is ashame. My garden is quite miserable in the winter months as I dont have any evergreens because they take up to much room in the summer when I want loads of flowers. So its make your mind up time next year and try and make the garden plants more permanent. 02

13. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    My Plans?
    To continue getting hints and tips off you guys and gals to improve my gardening experiance.
    robert

14. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I checked and tesco call them Taro Root.:)

Walnut the washy was fine last year, burnt but came back fine. I am still not producing many leaves due to its recent planting and shade position. The same can be said for my small baby washy nearer the house. If you have the space put them under cover as they will come on all the sooner in 2009, but I haven't had any overwintering problems in sunny Essex.:thmb:

15. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    O2, I have often spent the winters with a diagram of the area I wish to work in or improve and loads of garden books. Then find a good supplier, make my list and plan the attach in spring. There are some very, very slow growing conifers out there. I have one, its blue, I think it grew one inch in 2 years.