what can I grow this year

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by newbiegrower, Apr 20, 2007.

1. newbiegrower

newbiegrower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi we have just taken on an allotment and was wondering what can we grow this year.

Hannah

2. sausage

sausage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI, i've planted radishes, beetroot, potatoes, onions, peas, cabbage and cauliflower. I also have some seeds ready to plant which are spring onions, broccoli, lettuce and red onion. outside i'll have my onions (red and white), radishes, peas, beetroot, potatoes and spring onions. The rest I think i'll start in the greenhouse.

Hope this helps.

3. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hannah,
    Congrats on getting a plot, hope you enjoy it as much as I did/do (got a veg patch in the garden now rather than an allotment).
    Have you got much work to do on the allotment? If so, how long before you think you'll be ready to plant out?
    As well as what sausage says - I have still to sow sweetcorn, courgettes, runner and french beans and will be carrying on sowing things like spinach, salads, carrots, beetroot that I succession sow, so I would think you would be fine with them. You can sow some of them in trays or loo roll middles filled with compost too, so they can start growing while you're digging (if you need to dig of course!)
    Good luck and hope you enjoy it!

4. newbiegrower

newbiegrower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we have just been to see the plot and it needs completely clearing of grass and we need to get a shed from somewhere aswell. Nobody has used this plot for years

Hannah

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You could try freecycle (where people get rid of stuff they don't want, to people who want it) for the shed - find your nearest group at http://freecycle.org/display.php?region=United%20Kingdom - if there isn't one advertised, put a very polite "wanted" on and you might be lucky, I got mine that way (unsurprisingly it needed some repair and painting, but it was free :D ).
    I think it's not unusual when taking on an allotment plot for it to be quite unkempt, but on the upside digging is great exercise :D

6. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Newbie, sounds like you have a fun time ahead.

Dont let it be too daunting, do a little a lot, if you see what i mean. If you try to do the plot quickly, you wont enjoy it as much.

Like Claire, I use my back garden as my allotment.

Click the link and have a look .

7. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Plant as you dig, then at least you can see the fruit of your pain.
    I have had my lottie for one year now and I still haven't finished digging it (it is a big lottie!)

Good Luck