What climbing rose/clematis can I plant in container to grow up a north-east facing

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Karina, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Karina

Karina Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am in the early stages of trying to buy a house with a garden and am so excited about being able to garden, but am absolutely clueless about everything to do with gardening.

The front of the house we hope to buy does not have a garden but I really want to grow something up the wall and around the front door, preferably flowering. Whatever I grow will need to be grown in a container. The wall is north-east facing, but I think it gets quite a bit of light, but maybe not much direct sun. It is in Hertfordshire.

Can anyone recommend any plants? I've heard that some roses and some clematis can grow in containers up north-east facing walls, but I can't seem to find any advice on which can do both.

Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      If you click this link it will take you to the RHS plant selector. I've put the basics in for you and those were the results. It'll give you a few ideas to research more, especially regarding whether your choice is suitable for container growing.
      Is container growing the only option? For example, if there are flagstones at the front of the house could you lift a flagstone to make space in the ground for the plant? That would improve the hardiness, and make the plant less reliant on you for water once it is established.

• Like Like x 2
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Welcome to the GC forums, Karina :sign0016: Very exciting times ahead if you are in the process of buying a house: good luck wishes for that :dbgrtmb:

The link provided by longk to the RHS plant selector is a good one for choosing plants; I'm sure you'll have fun playing with it :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Karina

Karina Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +1
          Thank you! That's very helpful.

I don't think there are any flagstones I can lift, as there is pavement at the base of the wall, so I think it will have to be grown in a container.

• Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +827
          Hello and :sign0016:to GC Karina how about a Wistera

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,091
          If it's a public right of way you may not be allowed any containers (bar the bin, recycling boxes etc.) there.