What compost suitable for pots etc?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Jackie&Bob, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Jackie&Bob

Jackie&Bob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    Can anyone give me advice on above heading?
    In the past, compost I have used , seemed to compact ,& I need to make some of my pots a long term planting, like bridle wreath spiarea?[spelling?] & other shrubs.
    Thanks for your time.
    Jackie&Bob

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I use general purpose compost for most things, including pots, but I put crocks at the bottom, or broken up polystyrene, and add a few handfuls of perlite to the compost to help it drain, and add osmocote pellets.

http://www.scottsukonline.com/products/plantfeeding/osmocotetabs.html

Oh, and I always stand the pots on pot feet or bricks, to keep them off the ground. They're less likely to crack in the cold, and you get fewer invaders from below.....

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Hi J&B. I would agree with Dendro for normal pots. I use general purpose compost with about 30% sharp sand to help drainage.

However I understand that over time compost decomposes into smaller particles and reduces the drainage. This effect is small over a couple of years, but after three or more years it can become serious. In this case I think you want a soil based medium. I have read about this on an American forum, and they have special 'crushed rock' based compost (sounds like sand!). Without access to this sort of sophistication I would use good garden soil. A big shrub like spirea will need the extra weight for stability.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I use a 50/50 multipurpose and john innes no3 it doesn't dry out as quick as the peat based composts do it adds a bit of weight to the pot as Peter points out,helps stop the pots being blown over

5. Jackie&Bob

Jackie&Bob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice, will give it a go this year, maybe get better luck.
    Cheers Jackie&Bob

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If your going to use some as long term planters, then don't forget that they will need to be revitalised each year. For me, I use multi purpose and vermiculite with slow release Osmacote or similar - as Dendy. Each year I remover the top inch of compost and replace, lightly forking in some more osmacote at the same time.

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +123,170
    If you know anyone who has a subscription to 'Which? Gardening' or if your local library has it you can read the article in this month's magazine. It is entitled 'It's in the bag' and shows the results of their latest trials on composts. They divide their findings into 'Peat-free Multi-purpose', 'Peat-based multi-purpose', 'Seed compost', 'Potting compost' and 'Container compost'.

Their top scoring one for containers was 'B & Q Hanging Baskets, Pots and Planters Stage 2' (�£5.98 for 60 litres) but needed more frequent watering than the next three on the list.

As it is a 6 page article it is better if you can get a chance to read it.

Good luck.

------------
    shiney