What did you find?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by moonraker, Jan 26, 2012.

1. moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
    +243
    Hi All,
    Well its 6 years now since we left the UK. for our home here in france and its the 3rd home & garden ive sorted out since we married 36 year ago and i was having a look at some pics of this place & garden only 6 years ago and the notes i"d put on the back of the pics, ie 7th trailer loaded with garden rubbish,"glass" (It's a 1 x ton trailer used )

Now this rubbish was just that rubbish ie glass , old car tyres ect not garden waste that i could have composted.

Question, What was the state of your gardens when you first move in?

2. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Ours was nicer than it is now!! laid out with a veg. garden, flower beds etc., we moved in with kids & a large dog and it became more erm random!!!:rolleyespink:

Val

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      My house was brand new when I bought it back in 1978 and the garden was the usual builders disaster. The top was compressed clay and sand and I'm still digging up breeze blocks, bricks, metal, 33 years later. I can remember finding a piece of plastic in one corner of the garden and pulling at it to find that it was in fact a sheet of plastic that ran the width of the garden to the other side, where I had to cut it as it went into my neighbours garden!!:what::D

• music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
      Ratings:
      +2,785
      I had the best start in my present garden,absolutely nothing in it, a blank canvas,long grass and nothing else.It's the best way to get a garden because if the design is not to your liking it is double the work ,removing and replanning to suit your requirements.
      It Has taken me 7blackdog7 have it about as I want it :thumbsup:.
      But as you know a garden is never finished, I am never fully satisfied,I always find something to change or new ornaments to buy etc etc etc.:thumbsup:.

• music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
      Ratings:
      +2,785
      Hi ARMANDII, Not as bad as my Neighbour ,He found the concrete foundations of an old Anderson Shelter at the bottom of his garden.:help:.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      When I viewed my house prior to buying, I could see through the windows that the back garden was a mess, but couldn't have a close look because the estate agent pretended he'd forgot to bring the back door key.

I knew why once I got in here properly.

Apart from the usual assortment of litter, an old pair of trainers, and all sorts of bricks and stones (most of which I've since used or plan to use - the bricks and stones that is, not the old trainers), there was a live wire sticking out the ground.

That's right, a live mains wire. A previous owner had obviously done some DIY electrical work to bring power to a shed they must have taken with them. I quickly traced it back to the house and disconnected it, before digging it up. This live wire ran about 4 inches (yes, considerably less than spade depth) under the soil for half the length of the garden, before emerging from the surface in all its live glory.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,881
        Blimey! That could have been nasty Clueless.

I've had my place for seven years. Having dug up my back garden completely I found mainly rubble. I also uncovered half a dinner service and a 2 x 2 ft cube of concrete holding a 'whirligig' washing line post. Did it really need that much? :scratch: It was a devil to dig out and break up.

Haven't started on the front yet. I'll re-visit this thread in a couple of years and let you know what I've found. :heehee:

Talking of which...........why is it you never find anything of value? :)