What electrics are safe in a greenhouse over the winter?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by CanadianLori, Oct 29, 2017.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,478
    Been thinking about the dc powered fans and lights all wired up out there and wondering how they would fare over the winter in my unheated greenhouses.

I can leave them hooked up with power to operate periodically. Or disconnect? Or is it a stupid idea to leave them out there?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If they get iced up they could short out your batteries, might be best to bring em in :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,559
      Hi Lori, I'm from Finland where winters can get pretty... Canadian :th scifD36: :snowing:. We have garden electricals and summer cottages fully wired and left out there all year long. But the important bit is that all outdoor wiring and equipment left in the cold must be designed to take the cold, otherwise it's very likely to get damaged and become dangerous.

I'd definitely check with the manufacturer what the recommended temperature range is, and what advise they give on re-connecting the power i.e. if the stuff should first be heated above freezing point before turning the power on. If you don't know the manufacturer and googling the type number doesn't work, an electrician might be able to help.

On another note, here in the mild English climate where we rarely get below freezing point I take special care to protect pipes and wrap electric stuff up. They are not designed to take much frost so can easily get damaged. :)

And the skiing is not great either ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,478
        Thank you for the input @Zigs and @Selleri . I will remove the fans and timers and rehook up one timer down by the battery in the cellar to run the waterproof leds. Maybe I'll reconfig the whole shebang so that I only have to rehang the fans come spring :)

• Like Like x 1