1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What fertiliser to use for fruit trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by jjordie, Feb 21, 2014.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    We had three 60 foot sycamores along the bottom of our garden when we moved here 3½ years ago and as they were causing problems (roots damaging drains) we had them removed. Neighbours approved saying they were glad not to have to clear the leaves up any more.

Well, back to the story. To my delight there was a large, if old, Victoria Plum tree at the bottom of the garden and we have since planted 2 new Victoria Plum trees and a Duo Apple tree hoping to create a small orchard. Unfortunately the new trees are not growing as well as I had hoped and last year the leaves seemed rather a pale/yellowish green. The leaves on the old tree, which I am told is over 30+ years old - became crinkled and brown in places and not many plums matured. They just seem to lack enough 'food'. Is this because the large sycamores have used all the goodness out of the soil?.
    and if so - does the garden need to be fed and what sort of fertiliser is best and how and when should I use it. Would be pleased to get any help and advice. I suppose Spring would be the best time to take any action?

(Trying to find a pic of the garden to post on here.)

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    I normally use chicken poo pellets for everything, but in more extreme cases I resort to Miracle Grow, because I think it makes nutrients available much more quickly. Personally, I'd give them a couple of watering cans of Miracle Grow, then top dress with a couple of sacks of manure.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Could be a lack of nutrients but mature trees usually have have a big enough spread of roots to gather enough. Hard to tell without photos but your mature tree may be suffering from silver leaf. Bear in mind that plums can be irregular croppers and after a big crop may take a rest the following year.
    Your ex-sycamores may well have robbed nutrients but it shouldn't be too difficult to start to replacing them. I'd suggest that you start with a general fertiliser - blood fish and bone and then when blossom has ended move to a higher potash fertiliser. Don't apply either too soon though as you'll lose the benefits due to it being washed out before the trees start into growth.
    RHS info regarding plums>
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Fruit-A-to-Z/Plums,-damsons---gages

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
      +206

Dave and Clueless - thanks for replies and apologies for taking so long to reply.
      Haven't had time to get back to GC as caring duties priority while OH not very well.

Photos --

[​IMG]
      Before sycamores cut down 2010 - lack of rain that year as the grass looking very dry

[​IMG]
      Young fruit trees about a year old

• Like Like x 1
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,035
        Sorry about your caring duties jjordie - you've got your priorities right!

Feel free to ignore my post as I see it's earned me my only "disagree" out of 5,800. I wouldn't mind if I knew why. Could of course have been a mistake.

Edit : I've just noticed that your lawn appears to come right up to the young trees. This isn't really the best thing as young trees don't compete well with grass in the nutrient consumption stakes though when mature they should manage better. In the ideal situation there shouldn't be lawn within the trees drip lines.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Also with stone fruits like Plums it's helpful to spread a couple of handfuls of Lime around the root area as this helps the stones "set"

Very good advice:thumbsup::snork:

• Useful Useful x 1
          • jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
            +206
            Dave -Your post was very informative and I am surprised that Armandii put 'disagree' without
            a short explanation but as you say it could have been a mistake.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Thank you for the benefit of the Doubt!.........Yes, it was finger trouble due to my trying to multi-function and I have hastily amended my error, my apologies!!.:doh::snork:

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                +21,708
                I'd actually add sulphate of potash before flowering but agree on all the rest

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Useful Useful x 1
                • jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
                  +206
                  Yes, we just cut small circles out of the grass to plant the new trees - copied the mature tree as the grass comes right to the trunk on that one. Didn't realise they needed space. Will it help to cut the grass away a bit or is it too late now?

• Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +3,035
                  They still look very young so cutting back the turf would probably be a good idea. It would also reduce the risk of damaging them when you mow the lawn.

• Like Like x 1
                  • jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
                    +206
                    [​IMG]

The blossom on my very old Victoria Plum tree is almost like snow at the moment.
                    If every flower produced a plum we would have a bumper harvest but shame that
                    a good proportion of them will just fall off!

• Like Like x 2