What have I done to my lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by jachu, Feb 16, 2008.

1. jachu

jachu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to the forum and this is my first posting.Please bear with me until I find my feet.

The weather over the last few days has been very mild in my part of the country, so much so that I decided to aereate my lawns back and front. Both are small and I did it with a pitchfork. Now I wonder if I've done more harm than good. This is probably the completely wrong time to do that although the grass was quite dry. Anyone advise, the lawns were looking so weary and sparse that I felt I had to do something. Have I made problems for myself?

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    No harm at all, brush some sharp sand in and itll improve the drainage.

Sounds like when things warm up a bit more you also need to give your grass a spring feed and perhaps an overseed though.

3. jachu

jachu Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Your reply has reassured me. I'll get some sand and brush it in and also feed at the appropriate time

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    jachu, make sure it`s sharp sand NOT lawn sand.

5. Grass Seed Man

Grass Seed Man Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For overseeding.
    Cut your lawn quite short.
    Rake or scarify the surface to remove any thatch and expose a little soil as a seedbed.
    Apply good quality lawn seed at the recommended rate.
    Lightly rake again to get the seed down to the soil (as it won't grow stuck to the leaves of other grass plants).
    Finally, lightly roll or tread in to make sure the seeds are pressed firmly into the seedbed.
    Do not apply fertiliser until the new seedlings are fully established as the exisiting grasses could easily smother them out.