What hedge trimmer shall i buy ?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by bilabonic, Aug 2, 2009.

1. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I previously had a cheap hedge trimmer from Argos and it was useless. Very heavy, short blade, noisy and terrible cut.

I am looking to purchase a new one and it will mainly be used to cut/shape shrubs and some box i have.

Anyone recommend anything, want it ti be electric.

Cheers

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,665
    Hi Bilabonic That's a shame a good pair of shears is Quieter More enjoyable and good exercise and cheaper in the long term:thumb::)

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Indeed darling Woo but by 'eck those electric ones do the job fast which makes one a happy camper (or gardener if you like) when you have 100 foot of hedge to clip like us.:hehe:Hel.xxx.

4. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I bought an electric hedge trimmer from Lidle and have been very happy with the cut, the noise level and the price.

5. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,665
    Hi Helen Point taken and appreciated:dh::hehe: My wildlife hedge is only 30ft long and is up against the fence,so its only a short front and tops.:hehe::)

6. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If the hedge is high get one of them bending ones. I only have the normal black and decker trimmers but they dont cut through thick branches very well. The bending ones i borrowed from a neighbour extend out so far too and make it loads easier to cut the tops of my trees, keeps it quite square too.

7. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a 63cm Spears & Jackson one on offer in Argos. Only £33 from £50.

Think i need lessons though, given my shrubs a bit of a harsh pruning. Will post some pics on my other thread later.