What is Attacking this Purple Flowering Plant

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mfirth, Aug 6, 2010.

1. mfirth

mfirth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone please tell me;

1. What this plant is.
    2. What is killing bits of it off.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Hi mfirth, well your plant looks like a Hebe & from your photos I cannot see anything eating yours, unless I am mistaken.. What signs of any bugs can you see..?? Hebe are not really attacked by anything much as regards pests.. They do suffer with earwigs which cause some leaf distortion & whitefly you can see.. The latter is relatively uncommon..

They are often marked as drought tolerant, but they are not that tolerant of it in fact.. They suffer badly from lack of water.. The stress shows in the leaves & they will droop & turn pale.. Prolonged stress will cause yellowing of the foliage, and brown, necrotic areas will develop on the leaves, especially on the midrib. Not sure if that sounds anything like your problem, but that is caused by lack of water...

After that there is leaf spot, downy mildew or root rot that attack them.. Your photos are quite dark so the leaves are not that clear so hard to really say.. Hope that helps.. :scratch:

3. mfirth

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry it is not bugs (I don't think). I am thinking something fungal although the lack of water description does not sound to far off the mark and it does dry out round it quicker then most other plant in the bed.

The issue can be seen on photo 2. The stem under the flower has withered (I suppose this may be normal after flowering but none of the others have done it) and the leaves have yellowed and got brown spots.

The bed does have a bad case of what I think is mare's tail, we keep pulling up the bits that sprout but it is insatiable. I'm not sure if this is of any reliance.

Thanks,
    Mark

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Mark, I think it is probably the lack of water Mark too, but the Mares tail could be strangling the roots perhaps.. The trouble with Marestail is the more you disturb the roots the stronger it gets.. If it were me I would also trim of the dead flower heads on your hebe & just tidy it up..
    Then attack the Mares tail by crushing the stems as th leaves will not absorb it it has to be the stems & applying a weed killer like SBK or a Glyphosate type one.. You will probably have to do it a few times as well..
    Protect your hebe if you can & then hopefully it will pick up with a feed & regular watering..

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    It looks like Hebe Autumn Glory to me, a variety which is renowned for getting this fungal infection. Spray with a systemic fungicide ( I would use Roseclear 3 ). After a couple of days give it a bit of a prune to remove the worst of the damaged areas.:gnthb:

6. mfirth

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will give them a spray, follow the advice on the Mares Tail and keep it well watered.