what is best way to remove grass

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by marrittm, May 8, 2008.

1. marrittm

marrittm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello i want to totaly remove all my old dead grass from my garden and re-lay with new grass what is the best way to remove the old grass so i can lay new thanks.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Spray it with roundup, leave 2 weeks to die off then rotovate with a large cultivator. Rake off stones then lay the turf.

Water like crazy!!!!!!!

3. marrittm

marrittm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i was going to hire a cultivator but i have tried every hire shop near buy and i cant get my hands on a small one there all booked out for next week which i think is madness and i cant afford £75 for the next size up i know its hard work but would i gain same results if i dug grass up got rid of stones then put some top soil down

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    If you're going to do what PG says, by the time the Roundup has worked the small cultivators should be available. Try booking one now for use in 2 weeks time.

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Nothing wrong with doing it by hand if its a small area, but you still need to let the weedkiller work. Digging or rotovating alone will not kill the grass and weeds off.