What is wrong with my Black Bamboo please?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Stanley2, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Stanley2

Stanley2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    20220817_145942.jpgView attachment 183154 20220817_150000.jpgView attachment 183154 20220817_150000.jpg

Can anyone help please? I have a group of 3 types of bamboo in a corner of my north facing garden (Northumberland), it is shaded from around 2/3pm. The middle of the 3 is a black bamboo and towards the end of July I went on holiday until 13th August and it was on a watering system(sprinkler) for 5 mins morning and evening. It was fine when I left but when I came back it appeared to be brown with what I would describe as "wheatlike" heads and very few remaining green leaves (see photos) - the other 2 bamboo plants are absolutely fine.

I have looked online but there are so many different and conflicting suggestions - too dry, too wet, needs feeding, doesn't need feeding etc. I'm confused as to whether the plant is dying or whether this is a natural seeding. Plants are about 8 years old and last fed in spring. What is my next course of action - dig it out or leave it as it is leaving the leaves that have dropped on the soil as mulch?

Any suggestions and help gratefully received.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,979
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,125
      There have reports around the world of black bamboos flowering. Usually ends up with the plant dying .
      Bit of a bugger really. Ive got about 6 in pots no flowers yet.
      Id cut the flowers off.

• Like Like x 2
      • Stanley2

Stanley2 Gardener

Ratings:
        +35
        Better get my step ladder out then Wee Tam cutting off the flowers will be a big job - it is a shame as all three bamboos seem more than happy in position and, of course, the black one has to be in the middle leaving a bit of a weird gap. Wonder if leaving the canes for a while would work whilst I try to find a replacement plant.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,551
        Definitely flowering, don't think cutting the flower heads off will help. See and
        Some people report nursing them back to health with lots of feeding and TLC, takes a few years. Others have tried cutting them down to the ground on first signs of flowering and then feed and TLC; still others have waited for seed to germinate and replanted.
        See here for fun and games on removing bamboo roots, which will need to do before anything goes into that spot Goliath Undefeated ...
        I'm waiting for mine to flower at some point over the next few years and then I'll decide what to do.

• Stanley2

Stanley2 Gardener

Ratings:
        +35
        Thanks Nigel J - watched the You Tube linked above and it was really useful. Definitely got a P.Nigra flowering bamboo!!!!

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,908
        It takes a few years to finish the flowering cycle and yes, they die afterwards but you'll end up with a couple of thousand seedlings to replace the original plant.
        Also yes, I'd like some seedlings when they're ready!:thumbsup:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +15,303
        Um...they don't necessarily die. Mine was very stressed and flowered several years in a row, but as it got lots of rainwater through the winters and springs it recovered. I certainly didn't have time to cut the flowers off! How about cutting out the flowered canes, @Stanley2 , give it a good, regular soak (not a light sprinkle for 5 minutes) and see what happens? In the worst case scenario, the other two will soon spread to fill the gap.