WHAT JOBS ARE WE DOING IN THE GARDEN TODAY - 2017 a

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GCHQ, Nov 30, 2017.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    Had to take Clarence rat to the vet yesterday, so popped into garden centre on way home. Bulbs were half price, so bought packets of Alliums, Blandas and Fritillaries. The Fritillaries were the best value at £2.50 for 40 bulbs :). Planning on planting today.

The day before we went to South Stacks for lunch and, upon the recommendation of a member of the retail team, I bought a bird feeder that advertises itself as being DIFFICULT for Starlings. I hung that feeder out yesterday morning full of food and the Starlings devoured the lot in half an hour :yikes:. They had no 'difficulty ' at all. I took a video. So, had to return feeder for a refund. So,I'm back to the beginning again with preventing the Starlings from eating all the food. I've now bought four different types of feeders supposed to be Starling resistant, which the Starlings have no problems at all getting into :gaah:.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      @luciusmaximus, hope Clarence is OK. Rats are amazing pets. How's the poorly little hog?

Went to South Stack once while on holiday in Llanfairfechan. The walk to the lighthouse is really lovely. What a shame the feeder didn't live up to its promise.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        As all the leaves have dropped from my Acer Brilliantissimum, bar those of the Clematis Armandii which is entangled throughout the tree, I took a handsaw and started to "prune" the lower limbs. Over the years the tree has grown slowly but spread out over a stone bench and also the path to the Wildlife pond. I've always had to duck under the branches when going to the pond and once or twice, in the dark, "found" the branches before I thought I would:doh:
        So I've cut off three main lower branches, all of which had numerous other branches spreading out, as the sap in the Acer has slowed and it won't "bleed".
        The Clematis Armandii had grown so much that it was interlaced with the branches and was also hanging down like a huge Jungle Creeper and so it had to be pruned to free the branches. The tree does look better and more light is being let in onto the almost circular border underneath so the Hellebores and Ferns planted there will benefit.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 4
        • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,686
          @ARMANDII, just wondering.... is your clematis behind your username? Don't mean to pry, so fel free to tell me to get lost!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,834
            Hi, Irmemac, there's nothing "secretive" about my choice of User Mame.:dunno::heehee: When I first decided to join GC I tried different User Names and found they'd been used,:heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5: so for some reason the name of a Italian family I knew, while in Sicily, popped to my mind and........Bingo!!, nobody was using it. It wasn't until later when I caught a passion for Clematis, that's grown into over 200 now, that I came across Clematis Armandii........which I really love along, with it's varieties.
            Yeah, I know, it's boring.......you can wake up now.:snooze::snorky:

• Like Like x 4
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,477
              @ARMANDII that's a fun way to pick a name. Mine is a popeye pick... Iyamwhatiyamandthatsallthatiam...

Today I just filled the water receptacles for the capillary mats and looked again for intruders. Didn't see any mites or aphids. :phew: This being reduced to indoor growing really sucks. And we're just starting winter..:doh:

• Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,686
                Not boring at all - really interesting :dbgrtmb:. Much more interesting that me. Just given me an idea for a new thread..... Your Plant Username

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  Finished bulb planting and leave sweeping this week. Just given it a once over with the leaf blower /sucker . I don't attempt to get every leaf. That's about it in the garden . Next job is tidy around and in the shed hopefully before Xmas.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +117,283
                    Still loads of leaves to be cleared but they'll have to wait. We've already cleared about 10 x 1 tonne bags :phew:

We've been tidying the outside pots and nursery bed areas and trying to remove all the rubbish from the paved areas.

So, yesterday I did a few hours of pressure hosing of the patio as it had accumulated lots of mud and dirt over the year. Underneath that the Wet and Forget had still been doing its work on the algae and lichen but now needs its annual spraying. I only got half the area sprayed due to encroaching darkness and an interfering cat. :doh: I think that "M"'s Echo has been watching from on high and been training Sarafi. He has never head butted before but kept head butting the sprayer and, sometimes, my leg. :rolleyespink:

They've forecast rain this morning so I can't carry on with the spraying. :noidea: I've thought of lots of other things that I can't do, as well :snorky:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Funny Funny x 2
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Cliff1932

Cliff1932 Gardener

Ratings:
                      +48
                      Hi' I am 85 this month and got my first garden at 11 years old. when my father c ame back from the war he bought me a neverbend spade and told me the garden was mine, I had looked after it all through the war growing veg for the house,I must confess that I had the help of a scots chap who only had one eye and was in the pianear corps stationed down the road, I learned a grate deal from him, I now a couple of alottments on a small council feald only 7 alottments and we are all frends and help and look after eachother. I ,m about to go down there now and plant 3 rhubarb crowns Iwill join you again soon. cliff

• Like Like x 7
                      • Friendly Friendly x 3
                      • Cliff1932

Cliff1932 Gardener

Ratings:
                        +48
                        Ilike that apprentice gardner and it is true because I am still learning after all those years as an avid gardner

• Like Like x 6
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,686
                          Lovely to meet you, @Cliff1932, and what a brilliant story you have brought to the forum. Looking forward to hearing more about your gardening life :sign0016:

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                            Ratings:
                            +30,477
                            @Cliff1932 welcome to the forum.

I had planted a rhubarb crown spring before last and it did not show at all this summer but to my amazement the silly thing decided to pop out shoots in September. Don't know what it's going to do next year!

• Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                              Ratings:
                              +6,899
                              Clarence had what the vet and I thought was an eye infection a few months ago. Initially I thought it was an ulcer. He improved on anti biotics/ anti inflammatory treatment but I noticed a change in his eye again a couple of days ago. Vet wasn't overly concerned and it doesn't both Mr C either, but he's having a week of treatment as precaution/preventative measures. Remmi, the poorly hoggy boy, is much improved. Thank you for asking about both:)

• Like Like x 4
                              • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +1,686
                                Glad to hear it, Lucius. Im sure your TLC has made all the difference to Remmi. Our rats were a bit prone to eye issues. Also tumours. We found a lump in both sisters about a week after our elderly cat had been put to sleep. Had them both operated on togdther. Vet gave us 50% off the second rat's op :roflol:. Hope Clarence's eye improves quickly.

• Friendly Friendly x 1