1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Phone, What’s an Oldie to Do?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Redwing, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I need a new phone; mine is so old it doesn’t properly do predictive text. I’m on pay-as-you-go (EE) which is now outdated and not good value anymore. Although it is registered for use in Europe, it doesn’t properly work. I can text there but that’s about it and as I travel about twice a year to other European countries I want it to work. So it’s time to upgrade for this old dinosaur. What to get? I am reasonably computer literate but smart phones leave me cold and bewildered. I don’t need to check my email a hundred times a day but would like to look up, say, a museum I want to visit. Also WhatsApp seems appealing, to keep in touch with my family.

Can you good people recommend anything?......and please explain why, as though you were explaining it to a seven year old. I should add that I have an iPad mini but can only work a fraction of what it can do. iPhones are very expensive and do way more than I need. Contracts are a mystery to me so if someone can explain that in simple terms I would be grateful. How much should one be paying? And also I don’t really understand what data means.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,638
      I need a new one as well, but keep putting it off, as for one thing I dont have a clue which one to buy, I think this time I will buy the phone and just pay for a sim.

Other thing that puts me off is getting the number changed over as I want to change supplier.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,373
        We are in the same predicament too, we use pay-as-you-go too. We are hoping that our sons can enlighten us when we see them at Christmas.:help:

Have to say that I don't think you have to change your number when you change over.I have changed mine several times over the years but have always kept the same number. But things might be different now as it's been a few years now since last changed supplier.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,638
          No I dont mean changing my number, I mean getting my number changed over to the new phone.:smile:

• BellaBlue

BellaBlue Gardener

Ratings:
          +455
          Data is simply internet access. You buy a package say 1GB of data and that should be plenty for a light internet user. Not so good if you want to watch movies and things online though.

If you buy say 500mb of data per month (half of 1GB) and you go over this limit then there are overage charges. Best to buy more than you need, just in case.

You buy a minutes/text and data package of your choosing either on contract or pay and go.

The new android Nokia phones may appeal. they are mostly pure android without all the manufacturer loaded apps.

Pay and go - buy your own phone then get a sim from, o2, EE, whomever and pay them for your calls/texts/data package

Contract - pay for phone monthly (perhaps an amount upfront too) + your call/text/data package. Like an all in one package. This can be good if you cant afford to buy a phone outright Usually after 2 years the phone is paid for and yours to keep. Bear in mind it may work out cheaper to buy the phone on an interest free credit card and combine that with a cheaper pay and go sim card.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
            Ratings:
            +54,373
            Oops sorry, misread your post. Must admit I relied on my hubs to do it for me.

• Like Like x 1
            • BellaBlue

BellaBlue Gardener

Ratings:
              +455
              If you want to keep your number the network will 'port' it for you using some behind the scenes wizardry …. last time I did it it was very, very quick but sometimes they give you a time for it to happen and you may have a short spell of an hour or so while the wizardry takes place.

Magic isn't always instantaneous...

• Like Like x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,201
                Hi,

I've only had one proper Smart phone and thats been a Motorola G3 which always got good reviews for such a budget phone, and for me its been faultless.

If I was going to replace it now I would go for its latest incarnation the Moto G6 Play at around £130, the budget version of the standard G6 at around £180.
                Argos sell them in Unlocked versions, which means you can use any Sim card, you are not tied to any one provider/contact.

moto g⁶ play

Buy SIM Free Motorola Moto G6 Play Mobile Phone - Gold | SIM free phones | Argos

As for full Contracts, as an occasional user I would say avoid them just get a Pay As you Go SIM from a company who have good network coverage in your area.

I have Virgins £5 Monthly Sim only but on Contract so its just a regular direct debit, BUT its only a Monthly contact you can cancel as quick as that.
                It gives me 2500mins of calls per months, all texts and 1or 2gB of Data but seems thats not for new customers £7 now their cheapest
                Pay Monthly SIM Only Deals & Contracts | Virgin Mobile

As for Data, if you use you phone to got on the internet you can use two methods, free Wifi, but that can be less secure or you can use your Sim providers own direct data link, like your own private, more secure line. This is what you Data allowance is , so if you only do a little bit of surfing and Email the 1-2GB per month is all you need.

Don't forget that todays phones have some very good cameras that allow you take store and transfer photos so easily, plus you will find many people / organisations will send you text messages, eg Your parcel will be delivered 10 -11 am or Reminder of your Dental appointment etc - find all these very handy reminders.

If you look on the big supermarkets magazine shelves you will find will illustated books called Android / Smart Phones for Beginners/Seniors, very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
                • BellaBlue

BellaBlue Gardener

Ratings:
                  +455
                  That's true and probably where a lot of the confusion comes from over contracts.

You buy pay and go sims either monthly where you end can end it any time with 1 months notice or in a 12/24 month contract (these are often cheaper than the monthly ones).

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  To keep things simple I would go for a monthly contract . You do not buy a phone , it's price is included in your monthly cost . I would go for a Samsung phone ( Apple are very expensive ) , Samsung are very good phones and very reliable . Virgin do a contract at £11 a month - phone + 1000 minutes talk + 0.5gb of internet data.
                  If you want to talk to someone face to face go to car phone warehouse and talk to them . Saying you want a cheap monthly contract - £15 max ( 24 month contract ) ! They really do not mind if you know nothing about phones.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,830
                    Thanks all for your input. It's all really helpful. @BellaBlue , your summary is excellent and @ricky101 , I will look for the 'smartphones for seniors/beginners' magazines.

I'll think about all of this and let you know what I decide; it may be awhile.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      Some internet providers offer cheap mobile phone deals, such as BT mobile (uses EE) for BTinternet customers.

We both have a contract sim and a PAYG sim from 2 different networks in each of our dual sim phonees. If the EE network is unavaible, the other PAYG sim (Giffgaff on O2 network) is used. We keep getting extra free Giffgaff credit by recommending one another to get a new sim, etc., etc.

That's easily done, you get a code from your old provider to enable your new provider to change the number in your new sim. N.B. Your will lose all your remaining credit if changing to another provider. If staying with the same provider, you may need a new sim of a different size and they will change the number and move your credit over.

We both have the dual sim G6.

Start looking now for early Black Friday cheap deals.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,201
                        Hi,

Am sure you will be more than happy with a new smart phone, but don't forget that you do not have to use all of its fancy features; you can just use it for phone calls and texts as with your current phone, switching Internet things off until you are ready.

While most phones do not come boxed with any practical instructions you can download their full user guide which might show you that its all fairly easy, in little sections, just that there is such a lot you can do ( if you have the fingers and mind of a 10 year old ~:biggrin:)

Here's the PDF for the Moto G6 Play -
                        https://motorola-global-portal.cust.../127985/~/moto-g6-play---user-guide-(verizon)

"I'll think about all of this and let you know what I decide; it may be awhile."

Just ask here anytime, lots of us "oldies" have gone though the same thing and can hopefully guide you though it and get the right set up for you.

• Like Like x 1
                        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                          Ratings:
                          +89,792
                          Here's my phone:smile:

Mobile.JPG

• Like Like x 1
                          • pete

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +85,638
                            Thing that I find frustrating with mobile phones is, they often dont work.

By that I mean, I'm on Vodafone, the signal at home is very intermittent, and pretty much data doesn't work, or is so slow it might as not bother working.
                            When I'm at work I have to wander all around the yard trying to get a signal which occasionally fades during a call.
                            Now Vodafone say my home is 4G, I dont think its even 1G most of the time.
                            They lie a lot.:biggrin: