what plant food to use ?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by hi2u_uk, Jul 7, 2024.

1. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I only have two plant foods , miracle grow ericaceous for the ericaceous ones and miracle grow all purpose pour and feed general plant food

Is this enough as im reading that i should use plant food designed for tomatoes in the non-ericaceous plants .

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I use miracle grow as its a balanced fertiliser, but once things start flowering I move to a high potash one, I use chempak mostly, for that.
    Chempak do a whole range of liquid feeds, in powder form, with different amounts of each element.

3. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    The other worry i have is that miracle grow seems to have made the plants produce lots of leaves but no flowers. When i read the bottle it says it contains a bio stimulant which makes me imagine some sort of lab based steroid is in it

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
  4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Yes it might with some plants, maybe you are overfeeding slightly.
    If you move over to a high potash feed now it will promote better flowering and less foliage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,971
      This often happens when plants receive too much nitrogen which is has a high ratio in Miracle-Gro.

What are you growing @hi2u_uk and are they in pots or in the ground?

• hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
      +35
      I just fed them today , i think its been about a week or two since i last fed them.
      Can you suggest a high potash brand. Is that the way people do it ie one week you use high potash then then next week you switch to a different type ? i was hoping to just get away with one or two different types of plant food not having to switch every so often

• Plantminded

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,971
      It depends what you are growing and where @hi2u_uk.

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,759
      Anything labelled tomato feed should be high potash, but look at the label to be sure. You can use it for anything that you want to encourage to flower and/or fruit, not just tomatoes, and I find the cheap ones are as good as the pricey branded ones, although it's as well to check the dilution rate as well as the size of the bottle to decide what's the best price.
      You're looking for the N-P-K values. K is potash, N nitrogen, P phosphorous. something like this, with a high K relative to N and P.
      Capture.JPG
      This one happens to be from a big brand for sale on a big online retailer, but I only used it because there was a pic of the back of the label.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
        +35
        There's lots of things but I've divided them into what Google says are ericaceous plant and the ones I assume are not. That's why i only bought 2 types of food. They are all in containers outdoors

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,918
        My sister seems to feed once every five years. Still her garden produces flowers and veg to rival any commercial outfit.
        She makes me sick

• Funny Funny x 4
        • Like Like x 1
        • Plantminded

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,971
          • Like Like x 1
          • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
            +35
            Thanks though now im beginning to wonder if its wrong to force it to flower using a flowering specific fertiliser.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • micearguers

micearguers Gardener

Bits & bytes
              Ratings:
              +87
              I use only home-made compost and (very) occasionally a bucket of comfrey tea, plus I mulch a lot to get good humus-rich soil. Plants have managed to flower without help, and many plants flower better on poor soil, as they know their survival (in the form of seeds) depends on it. This just to indicate that doing nothing can be both easy and rewarding, it's always the first option I consider.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                Ratings:
                +4,485
                I don't feed shrubs/trees other than when planted [a little BF&B] because I feed the soil by adding organic matter as a mulch, as @micearguers describes.
                For heavy flowering plants like annuals, dahlias or clematis etc. I use tomato food. Loads of makes available. That gets used for the toms too, but I also do comfrey feed now which I use for those plants in between, or instead of the tom food.
                Many of my annuals are in pots too, so they need more than they would in the ground, but I have clay soil which is richer in nutrients anyway. That's where adding organic matter helps though.

As micearguers says - it also depends on the plant itself, because some do better on poorer soil. Too much food creates lots of soft, lush growth. Climate is always a factor too, because in wetter areas, or in long wet spells, food can easily get washed through before it benefits the plant. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
                  Ratings:
                  +575
                  We haven’t bought in any fertilisers for about 3-4 years. I used to apply chicken pellets once a year around the garden. We do produce our own compost and I use some of that to mulch my roses and hydrangeas. I ran out if fish, blood and bone about 2years ago and haven’t got round to buying any more.

In the greenhouse, the beds get mulched in Spring with our own compost and, if I remember, I make a feed with Alkanet (same family as Comfrey so assuming/hoping it has some similar qualities)

Annual pots are filled with a mix of garden soil and homemade compost.

When I started gardening I couldn’t afford to buy plant food so have never really got into the habit. Now I deliberately don’t as I don’t want to use any unnecessary plastic or products.

Everything grows and flowers quite happily. Maybe not as big and lush as they would if I did use fertilisers but good enough for a garden full of flowers and more than enough tomatoes.

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • Like Like x 1