What plant is this and should I prune it back

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Will Hay, Jul 1, 2024 at 9:54 AM.

1. Will Hay

Will Hay Gardener

Ratings:
    +76
    Quite a sorry looking specimen, I have forgotten what the name of this plant is and as you can see though it flowers with nice small yellow flowers it looks very leggy and woody!

Anyone provide guidance as to how I should look after this

thanks

IMG_8126.jpg

2. Escarpment

Escarpment Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,363
    Cotton lavender? Only occurring to me because Monty planted some on Gardeners World this week!

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,898
    Yes, Santolina chamaecyparissus. It needs trimming over lightly (like Lavender) every year, ideally. When it's gone leggy like that, cut it back hard to about 4" / 10cm. Give it a drink and a feed if it's in a pot and it should rejuvenate OK. Cuttings are very easy, so stick a few in a pot of gritty compost just in case :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,352
      It also needs lots of sun as well as well-drained soil/compost. I had one (the soil here suits them) but it died after next door replaced their fence with a taller one so it was in shade for longer each day. It was quite elderly and had been cut back hard and regrown any number of times, so it might have been on its way out anyway but I think the reduction in sun finished it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1