What Projects have you done/are you doing ????

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Webmaster, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Have you done any projects in the garden, or planning to do ?

If so, share the progress with other users, or even just ask for ideas on what you want to achieve.

Nathan.

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    We're about to build a pond, boggy area and wildlife garden section - once I've moved all the mushroom compost that's currently sitting there!! So, with a bit of luck I'l give details of what we're doing, materials, and costs, as suggested by TLG - hope this will be a useful resource.

Thanks for such a quick response, Nathan!! :D

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Embarking on our first year, though with a slightly late start, incorporating a polytunnel into our gardening year. In theory this will extend the growing season considerably and also extend the range of veg we can grow. Big learning curve this year as it's still the new toy. Automatic (timed) watering system ready to go in for the summer.

I'm also researching solar powered, fan ventilation for the greenhouse.

4. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    We needed a seat at the top of the garden..no funds..so I made this. [​IMG]
    All steel with timber shingle roof. The seat back is marble from an old table top

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Good start Nick.

Anyone else have something to give others inspiration ??

Nathan.

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just about finished mine for the winter/spring. I have a border/rose garden infested with ground elder from next door, over which I had lost control. Spent the winter lifting all my plants and bulbs but leaving the roses in. All plants and bulbs stripped of everything that looked like ground elder root, and potted up. Every root that I could find in the border removed. Then covered with a semi permeable membrane and bark. New plants planted through.

Now I am just waiting to ensure the plants I removed to have no signs of ground elder before replanting - then job done.

7. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My current diy projects:
    A timber picnic table with incorporated benches (and possibly a roof!) that the kids or the wind can`t break.
    A new greenhouse very similar in design to the Eden project simply because you can`t buy one ;)

8. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

My entire garden is the project this year. Just finished moving existing plants through the dormant periods, taken down a large number of conifers and putting all new fencing in, including blocking off a rickety old section at the front. Other plans are:

* Setting up a wildlife area in one section,
    * dividing the garden up with masonry work (although that's still being designed and re-designed by my planner (Mrs Dave!! ;) )),
    * reshaping and redesigning the lawn and borders,
    * installing a pond - hopefully incorporating a path/bridge

now the nicer weather is (hopefully) coming the big work starts!

Will keep everyone posted with pictures! :D

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Aren't we all going to be busy this year!!! :D

10. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Stone planters around here cost a bomb..one about 18" square and 10" deep will set you back �£60!!
    So my next project will be to make my own.
    This Cotswold stone block is of a similar size and, if I don't break it, will make a nice one. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[ 13. April 2006, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Paladin ]

11. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well the garage is finally finished,looks a bit overpowering but I suppose I'll get used to it. A lot of reorganising to do,a raised bed that needs clearing which have rather a lot of summer bulbs in. My hubby is going to make a driveway to the garage and pave the rest of the area, would like to make another couple of raised beds. We also need to find some space for our six chickens.In the front garden we really need to do something with the pond(more of a muddy puddle at the moment)I just love this time of year so much to do so little time! ;)

12. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,092
    Project for to-day (Good Friday)putting up 10"x6" shed for Roders junior,it was sunny all day,and it was great to be out............... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Looks a bit bigger than 10" X 6" roders, have you been celebrating already? :D :D :D

Your flowerpot man isn't smiling either! ;)

14. him outdoors

him outdoors Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm doing the opposite, just moved into new home and have just pulled down a rotten shed which leaves lots of slabs, do i just lift out the odd slab here and there and plant accordingly or do i go the way of containers, means i can move plants around easier but they will be more susceptible frost and waterlogging, any thoughts

15. him outdoors

him outdoors Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm doing the opposite, just moved into new home and have just pulled down a rotten shed which leaves lots of slabs, do i just lift out the odd slab here and there and plant accordingly or do i go the way of containers, means i can move plants around easier but they will be more susceptible frost and waterlogging, any thoughts