What Runner beans are you growing.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by roders, Apr 14, 2010.

1. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) After years of growing Scarlet Emperor Runner Beans........I have decided to change this year to a pink flowered variety called Celebration after seeing what a marvelous crop my sister grew last year.......Fingers crossed.

What is Your favourite runner bean?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Well mine for the last few years has been Polestar stringless.. I have had excellent crops from them.. :thumb:

3. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    Er...um....the ones I bought in Poundland?
    Have also planted some Borlotti beans and some broad beans.

4. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    After trying F1 hybrids with less than favourable results, I have resorted to Scarlet Emperor, not so much for the yield but more for flavour. I have however put a lot of effort into preparing a rich bed for them to grow in.

5. Liz W

Liz W Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I did celebration last year (and will do this year) and was really pleased with what I got. Someone commented on how the birds had gone for her normal reddy coloured flowers, and maybe mine were intact because of the different colour....

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Gave up on runners a couple of years ago as we found we tended to let them get too tough and stringy - just couldn't keep up with them. Now grow climbing french beans instead as they don't get tough as quickly and even if you let them mature fully, the bean seeds inside are still usable.

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Hi roders,

I grow a number of varieties but stick to all stringless varieties. In general I find Polestar the best all-rounder.

Here is a link to a thread that I put up a couple of years ago. It has some more info.

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/fo...ns-t15538.html?t=15538&highlight=runner+beans

I also grow some Painted Lady which has red and white flowers. These look good but are not a particularly heavy cropper and need picking a bit smaller than the others. They would be good to grow on a fence at the back of a flower bed because they are attractive. They are one of the old Victorian beans but have been crossbred to make them more stringless.

I also do trials of some of the new beans being developed but they don't have names and I never find out what names they are given :scratch:. All I do is report on them. I've never yet trialled a new variety that gives a better result than the ones I already grow.

Cheers :gnthb:

8. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have been growing Enorma for some years, we are on heavy clay soil.

9. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Roders.
    I normally grow Polestar, but this year I'm gonna try Enorma. No real reason for the switch, just thought I'd try something different.
    Cheers...freddy.

10. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I bought some Scarlet Emperor in Sainsbury's today and have sown them in loo roll tubes. I hope they are good - last year for our first attempt we bought plants from our nursery and just stuck them in. I have no idea what they were.

We are also growing Berlotti beans which I believe you can eat as a green bean. Does anyone know what they are like eaten this way? I'm not sure what their flowers are like either.

Can you put more than one plant at each pole or is that not a good idea?

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Yes, you can eat them green, as with most beans.

I always put two plants per cane :gnthb:

12. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    You can also use broad beans like runner beans, slice the pods when young and cook them.

13. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I thought I's see how everyone got on with their beans.

Although the berlotti beans took a bit longer to get going they were delicious, more successful than the scarlet emporer because they are so delicious and just keep on with a steady supply. The scarlet emporer are good, and indeed still flowering and making beans, but the berlottis are my favourites.

14. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Our Polestar have been very heavy croppers although they were a bit behind last year in getting started. I have managed to sell over £250 worth for our charity so far :gnthb:

They have been so tasty and popular that I haven't been able to keep up with the demand.

15. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I'm the same as DaveW - I don't grow runners anymore as I find if you leave them a day too long they go rough and tough.
    I grow climbing french beans and dwarf french beans. Sprite gave me a great crop from the dwarf beans.

I make a bean trench for my beans. I dig out a trench at the end of one of the beds and all winter I use it as a compost heap, covering it over with the dug out soil as I go. Then I plant the beans on the trench . They love it.
    Courgettes like the same treatment.

I've never grown borlotti beans Victoria Plum but I'll have a look into that.
    Do you eat the whole pod, or do you let them mature then just eat the beans ?