What seeds have you sown today?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by LCH, Feb 11, 2007.

1. LCH

LCH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Since it is getting to sowing seed time I am interested to see what other people are sowing. Just unwrapped my new windowsill heated propagator and it is now housing the following for some colour this summer:

Antirrhinum - Frosty Lavender Bells
    Antirrhinum - Tequila Sunrise
    Delphinium - Delight mix
    Rudbeckia - Purpurea Bravado
    Pyrethrum - Superb Mixture
    Hollyhock - Bright Pink

And this is only some of the February sowing seeds, I can see my spare room getting very full very quickly!

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Oh yes LCH, seeds are a-sowing everywhere. Sounds like your garden is going to be full of colour this summer with that lot. Just sown lots of new perennials and the propogator, greenhouse and dining room are full of seed trays, my toms are just coming up and spuds chitting nicely. Just need a bit more sun to stop them all becoming too leggy, this dull weather is a bit depressing...hang on a minute - the sun's just come out! :D

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'm just waiting for a decent spell to take my first load of sowings down to the greenhouse to stop them getting too tall..... I listed what I'd done in the thread of a similar title somewhere down the bottom.... but it included antirrhinum, black prince and braun-blanquetii.

Next lot will include some annual climbers, then the tall stuff, and of course, there wil be veg outside in the near future!! :D

4. LCH

LCH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great too, my potatoes are next on the "to do" list so that will keep me busy today. I do not have a greenhouse though so am envious, tomatoes will have to wait until it gets warmer for me! The sun has just come out here too so best get busy while it lasts.

5. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Can i "pick" your brains Blackthorn? :rolleyes: I did this the other day, [​IMG] And thought,thats good,they`ll be ok.(i`ve not chitted spuds before)Then,next doors allotment holder came into gh and told me,No,they need somewhere dark Elaine??Put them under that desk??I read the book again and it says,A light, not sunny,frost free room for about 6 weeks.So,i`m a bit confused.This man has been gardening since the yr dot.Is he right?

6. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have just finished watering all the seeds i started off last week.

Peas, Broad beans, Sweet peas, Agastache, 150 pelargoniums and not forgetting various hardy geraniums. My windowsills are straining under the weight.

7. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry elainefiz, just noticed your question. Your book is correct - light and cool is right for chitting or the growths become to white and leggy..at least that's what I've always done and what all the gardening books tell us. [​IMG]

8. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at your spuds I keep mine in a dark cool place (these are my eaters not seeds) and they are always leggy. So I have put mine (seed potatoes) on a shelf near a window in my shed which gets quite a lot of light.

9. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Today I have sown:
    alyssum (freebie with gardening news)
    tomatoes - golden sunrise
    tomatoes - gardeners delight
    tomatoes moneymaker
    red grape (don't know variety, just trying)
    squash
    pumpkin
    cauliflower
    pansies
    lobelia
    french marigolds
    calendula

That is enough for now!!