1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What should I use to seal hand made clay pots please?

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Selleri, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,634
    I made some clay pots for my succulents, we only had air dry clay which tends to deteriorate after some years if damp. I painted the pots but probably a top coat of some kind would prolong their life span... what should I use?

The criteria is that it must be dead cheap, small tin (I'm not going to leave my day job to be a potter so a 10l jar might be an overkill :snorky: ), easily found in Wilkos, Amazon or similar shops, transparent and preferably glossy. Something which will not dissolve in the soil and kill my succulents would be nice too.

My first attempt in pottery since I was 5 was surprisingly relaxing and fun, and the pots turned out quite nice, it's so difficult to find good sizes and shapes to fit the various cacti we have. Plenty of drainage holes as well. :) The Teenager says they look very trendy and "Shabby Chic", although I still need to work on the chic bit. :noidea:

Thanks!

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    Theres the chimenea protector product. Ive got som e hidden away somewhere in the garage. I think its to protect clay pots from freezing or as a sealant,cant remember exactly,but worth a google maybe.

3. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    The pots sound great - any chance of seeing some photos?

Do they live outside? And what did you paint them with?

For unpainted clay, and indoor use, I'd've suggested just a coat of thinned PVA adhesive as a sealant: PVA Adhesive Uses Including Sealing and Waterproofing | DIY Doctor

But if they're to live outside, and they've been painted, probably a water-based exterior-grade varnish is what you need.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Well, I only use clay pots for succulents because they are porous, if you seal them they wont be, so might as well use some cheap plastic ones:smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      @Selleri I have used an Acrylic varnish for a couple of pottery pieces out side and they are fairing very well... I used a Ronseal one low odour from B & Q :thumbsup:

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,634
      Thanks everybody! After some googling I ended up buying ModPodge, not as cheap as I had wished for but hopefully will do the trick. I'll grab some Ronseal if we end up making more pots. It's rather addicting hobby :)

@pete , totally agree with the porous material feeling like a better choice, but then again succulents are not fussy provided that the soil is half sand and the moisture level matches their expectations. I grow them in all kinds of odd vessels found in charity shops, but the lack of drainage holes means that watering involves digging a finger in the soil which can be painful when the occupant is thorny :doh:

Thanks again :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,634
        Here are some pics. I was feeling rather smug and clever for putting drainage holes all through the stems of the goblet- shaped ones, until I realised that 1) I will need a saucer underneath and 2), the only part which ModPodge doesn't reach are the drainage tunnels where the water will go... :wallbanging: ah well, we'll see.

In the worst case I will just have to buy more clay and have some more fun :biggrin:

The geese are at the base of our avocado tree(s). I'm planning to root some ivy there this summer as the 12- year old tree has now decided to become deciduous.

Lithops Go Skandi :heehee::
        Lithopsgoingskandi.JPG
        newtraypot.JPG
        newpots.JPG
        cactifeb191.JPG
        geeseandjaakko.JPG

• Like Like x 2
        • Creative Creative x 1
        • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,667
          Hi @Selleri Lovely creative pots. I have painted all sorts ... pots, wall murals, water barrels, with plain old artist's acrylic. It comes in tubes and bottles, really cheap in Chinese shops here, perhaps Wilkos there. Once dry, it is there for life, takes intense sun and torrential rain here. You can thin it down or lather on thick for texture ... and of course comes in all colours! I have even dyed canvas shoes and tie-dyed jeans with it. Once dry, it is permanent.

• Useful Useful x 1