1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What size pot?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Anne Knowles, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Anne Knowles

Anne Knowles Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've recently had some alterations in my garden and instead of borders I have a couple of flags with pots on. I want to have a large pot with a Christmas tree growing in and have seen a gorgeous Lebanon Spruce Picea pungens Hoopsii and I was wondering if this would be suitable for pot growing. The tree is pot grown and is about 40cm high in a 14cm pot so quite small to begin with and I was wondering what size pot to buy for it. As I have spinal arthritis and find it difficult to lift heavy objects and also bend over, I don't want to keep re-potting it so really would like to put it in its permanent pot, so would be grateful if anyone could give me some ideas. Also what sort of pot would be best, I have large plastic pot which I want to use for something this year and was wondering if this would be OK?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hello Anne
    I would go for a 50cm pot or bigger......as large as possible really. I grew its "cousin" Pungens Globosa in a pot for a family member and it did well for quite a few years. A smaller variety I know but similar requirements. :)
    I would use a heavy pot....terracotta or similar....as it tends to be a whole lot more stable in the wind. I think the plastic pot would look cheap and likely to break in time. I would also use a john innes soil compost.....it holds moisture and nutrients better and, again, is heavier. Without checking for sure, I believe I used a john innes type ericaceous compost ......piceas seemingly prefer acidic soils but please check this out. Not an ericaceous mpc but a soil based one
    I know you said you find it difficult to lift heavy objects but I would go for weight all round with the view you wont need to repot it for several years. I would plant it with the thought it will be a once and for all job :)
    If you went for a large container you could plant around it ........lithodora heavenly blue would associate well with it giving an evergreen cascading curtain with blue flowers in spring and summer.
    Whatever you decide, enjoy your plant Ann. I love the colour of the blue spruces; classy I think :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Anne Knowles

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4
      Hi Verdun
      Thank you so much for all the help, full of lots of interesting information. I'm now on the lookout for a pot and think I know where to get one later this month, I do like terracotta so hopefully will find a nice one. I was interested to read that although the site where I was going to buy the little spruce from called it a Lebanon spruce, the RHS site calls it a Colorado spruce but whatever its called, it's certainly a pretty tree.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,693
        I'd be very careful Anne, just googled Lebanon spruce, it appears to be an odd name for Cedar of Lebanon, Cedrus libani, which, I might be wrong about, but I've never seen a dwarf variety.

The Colorado spruce is a true Spruce, (Picea) and I've seen a few dwarf, or at least slower growing forms.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Anne Knowles

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4
          Thanks pete, I've been looking at a few online trees but there's a big garden centre not far from where I live so I'll try and go and take a look at what they've got. I do most of my shopping online but some things need to be looked at before buying

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Yes, agree with Pete's distinction but I think Ann has chosen a picea. My own favourite is Globosa
            :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Potty gardener

Potty gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +10
              I bought a Bakker recycled plastic pot on wheels. It looks great and I thought reasonably priced.