1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with all the soil?!

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by 2nd_bassoon, Sep 26, 2017.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    As autumn draws in I'm finding myself sitting on several pots/bags of empty soil - home to various veg and annuals over the summer. Probably a couple of hundred litres in total. I don't have the space to tip it out onto beds or into a compost heap, so wondering what else to do with it! Can I just reuse it next year? That was my original plan but then common sense kicked in and made me think about all the nutrients having been used up this year and not there for anything that goes in next. Or am I overthinking it?!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes, the nutrients will have been exhausted but it can still be used.
      You can use it for bottom half of pots for next year....Fresh compost on top half. Sure you cannot use it spread around plants in the garden? 200 litres is not really a large amount.
      Use it as a mulch too. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I use around 1200 to 1700 litres of General Purpose Compost every year, and I think Shiney uses more, for various purposes and it all goes, after it's initial use, onto my borders as a soil improver to my sandy soil, but at the Local Gardening Club some of the members reuse it, after checking for pests, etc, by adding their own "secret" formula of nutrients. One member, according to legend, has large bins of reused compost that he grows his Show Chrysanthemums in along with other prized plants. :coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
          +10,302
          I put all my old pot soil on the borders and top dress with fresh soil every year, my garden had never been gardened when we moved in and the house is 50yrs old, its clayey in places at first all the old soil went into the worst areas,

After fours year my borders are a pleasure to turn over, what was once hard work is now a pleasure :).

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • 2nd_bassoon

Vet
            Ratings:
            +1,840
            Thanks all. At the moment there isn't anywhere on the borders to put it, but I'll give it another couple of months for everything to die back and try then. Daft question, but if you're tipping more soil onto your borders every year how do you prevent the borders getting too high over time? Or is it a case of too little soil to have that much of an impact?

• martin-f

Ratings:
            +10,302
            I keep widening the borders and creating new ones, it will be a few years before I don't know what to do with it, just be creative I'm sure you will find somewhere for it :).

• martin-f

Ratings:
            +10,302
          • martin-f

Ratings:
            +10,302
            I installed a pond recently, I built a rockery waterfall with what came out of the hole.
            IMG_0012.JPG vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.JPG

• Like Like x 1
            • Creative Creative x 1
            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              2nd bassoon, compost itself breaks down and it takes a lot of it over the years to raise soil level.
              Be aware not to put too much extra soil around shrubs though ....most perennials will cope well enough with it :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Let's differentiate between the terms "Soil" and "Compost" otherwise it can confuse to refer to both being the same article.

Soil is defined as.

"soil - (i) The unconsolidated mineral or organic material on the immediate surface of the Earth that serves as a natural medium for the growth of land plants. (ii) The unconsolidated mineral or organic matter on the surface of the Earth that has been subjected to and shows effects of genetic and environmental factors of: climate (including water and temperature effects), and macro- and microorganisms, conditioned by relief, acting on parent material over a period of time. A product-soil differs from the material from which it is derived in many physical, chemical, biological, and morphological properties and characteristics."

So, in other words, it's a mixture of clay, silt, sand, and other minerals.

Compost is organic matter that has been decomposed and recycled as a fertilizer and soil amendment. Compost is a key ingredient in sowing seeds, raising plants in trays, pots, etc.

So it's, in other words, decomposed organic matter.

Not a daft question, and Verdun has answered the question precisely. Compost being decomposed organic material continues to break down over time, acting as a great soil improver by adding "body" when you put it onto your soil. For me with my sandy soil garden it has helped hold water and nutrients longer in the soil and turned my soil into a nice dark brown crumbly soil which a pleasure to garden with and is ideal for me to grow plants. I add up to 1700 litres of used compost, not including the compost from my own compost heap, to my borders every year and it's never really raised the level of the soil because of the compost breaking down.:coffee::snorky:

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • 2nd_bassoon

Vet
                  Ratings:
                  +1,840
                  @ARMANDII that is fantastic, thank you, I'd never properly differentiated soil/compost in my head before, that explains a lot! So simple really.... :doh:

I wish I had space for a rockery or to widen the beds, beautiful pictures @martin-f and I've been watching your pond develop with envy - one day I'll have a garden with running water but sadly not in this one (combination of space limitation and rented property).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    You're most welcome.:snorky:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1