(What to do with) Egg found in long grass

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by RobH1984, Jul 28, 2024.

1. RobH1984

RobH1984 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. I was cutting back some long grass and I found a large brown egg (picture attached). It's about 2.5 inches long , so larger than a standard hens egg. Initially I was worried that I'd disturbed a birds nest, but this seems unlikely as there's no nest around the egg (it's 'buried' in a very shallow pit) and I don't tend to get birds in my garden that are big enough to lay an egg this size. The largest birds I get are pigeons and magpies. I'm guessing maybe a fox stole it and has placed it in the long grass 'for later', but I'm not sure. It doesn't look like any birds egg that I can identify via an internet search.
    I've just covered it over with some moss for now, but was wondering:

Anyone know animal the egg could come from?
    What should I do with the egg? My instinct is to bin it as I assume it's a stolen/abandoned egg, but I want to make sure before I do that.

Egg_Crop.JPG

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Yeah looks like a crocodile egg to me.;)

But then I'm no expert.:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +1,543
      I find eggs in the strangest places. It's foxes.
      I also find trainers, crocs, gloves, balls, empty takeaway packages - I could go on and on and on and......

• Philippa

Philippa Gardener

Ratings:
      +255
      It does look like a chicken egg - perhaps only half an inch bigger than a "standard ". Do you have anyone who keeps chickens in your vicinity and are foxes about too ? Quite a few people find chicken eggs buried in their gardens and the usual culprit is a fox .
      Other than putting it in an incubator and seeing what happens, you are a bit limited unless you want to contact the British Hen Welfare Trust with your photo and see if they can confirm one way or another.

• BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
      Ratings:
      +1,543
      Our neighbours feed the foxes with raw eggs. They eat them in our garden we often find the shells.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,957
      I've had whole chicken eggs left in the garden, pinched by foxes from next door's chickens. I suppose they are saving them for a snack another day. Worst thing gifted by foxes was next door's pet rabbit buried in my potato patch, just saw a leg sticking up.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,477
        I get them occasionally, presumably by the local fox population. The back garden is more enclosed now, so they can't easily get in.
        You can just leave it there @RobH1984 and it'll get retrieved, or if you don't want to encourage foxes, you can put it in a compost bin if you have one, or just in your council bin for food and garden waste. :smile:

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,154
        Has it got a little lion stamped upon it ?....., with a date. Best not to drop it!!

• RobH1984

RobH1984 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks for the replies. I haven't seen any foxes in the garden for a while, but we do have them in the area, and a few years ago they were frequent visitors, so I suspect they are the culprits.
        Will probably bin it. Don't want it hatching/rotting and attracting rats. I'm not aware of any neighbours keeping chickens (but the gardens are a decent size around here so there might be someone somewhere).
        On a separate note, I keep finding the remains of monkey nuts around my garden. Think one of my neighbours is feeding squirrels, which is a pain as the little blighters have been chewing my Courgettes!

• DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,469
        Interesting, never seen the vermin eating courgettes . most other things yes!

• Informative Informative x 1
        • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +4,477
          More likely to be slugs eating the courgettes.

• Agree Agree x 3