What to do with my ashes

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by beanie b12, Aug 7, 2009.

1. beanie b12

beanie b12 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i have a dustbin incinerator on my allotment which is getting quite full of ash now (I burn paper as well as weeds in it.). Shall i put it on my compost heap or dig it into the soil when I start turning my beds over?
    Thanks all.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I have been meaning to ask a similar question about barbeque charcoal ash ,,is it any good for anything, perhaps someone can throw some light on it

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    My grandad grew the best Hydrangea I've ever seen in my life out of nothing but his 'ash mountain', a big pile of ash from his coal fire. That was ash from a combination of coal, wood and paper.

I believe wood ash is full of potassium, which I believe is good for the plants. I know coal ash is acidic when you add water, so that's probably why my grandad's Hydrangea did so well, but not sure about ash from other stuff.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    My understanding is that wood ash contains lots of Potash, but it leaches out very quickly - so I think putting it on compost heap might "waste" the benefit (it will also form a soggy, impenetrable, layer - so not ideal for compost heap).

So I suppose it ought to be good to just add as a "mulch" to fruiting crops.

Coal ash I think of as often being recommended for not using in the garden, although I don't remember seeing a reason other than its acidity, and for folk like me on alkaline soils I wonder it is has other problems? Therefore I can well believe it was just-the-job for Hydrangeas :thumb:

5. JerremyB

JerremyB Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Be carefull growing things out of ash heaps as some plants are too sensitive to it. Others will thrive like crazy though so I guess its a matter of research or trial and error.

6. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) Beanie that was a very misleading title to this thread.......a good one though .........you know what I was thinking lol.

7. gillcat

gillcat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've always been told to dig in wood ash but NOT to use coal ash as it will kill a lot of plants.

8. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,863
    Wood and paper ash - dig into soil or compost; coal ash (including bbq) - bin

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "including bbq"

Presumably only if Briquets used?

We have fabby hand-made (for want of a better word) charcoal, which is basically just going to leave wood ask, isn't it?

By the by, if you are a BBQ-with-coals fan, rather than a gas-barbie, proper charcoal is a dream compared to the stuff in the super market / garden centre - even compared to their "lump wood charcoal" products.

It is unbelievably light weight, will be at full heat in under 10 minutes from first ignition, you need very little as you can just top up as you go along, just altogether much easier to use. There are a couple of managed woods near us that make charcoal ...