What to do with my Fuchsia's?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by RudeBwoyUK, Oct 16, 2012.

1. RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +61
    My dads had these fuchsia in the posts for about 3-4 years. [​IMG]

Earlier this year he also added a few plants of a viney trailing type which had red/white flowers.

[​IMG]
    Heres one i dug up the other week as it was sticking out the ground a bit
    [​IMG]

So anyways I'm sure the bigger ones will survive winter but not sure about the little ones. Theyre kept under shelter of the bay window. Was thinking about digging them up and putting them in pots and keeping them in the shed windowsill over winter. Or could i leave them outside?

Plan is to leave the bigger upright bushy ones in the pots theyre in at the moment and use them smaller spreading ones in hanging baskets next year so will dig them up sooner or later anyways, just need em to get through cold season.

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    It depends if they are hardy Fuchsias or not as to whether they will survive outside - do you know what varieties they are? :)

Have a look here for advice on overwintering non hardy ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      If your dad has had these fuschias in those pots for last 3 or 4 years have they been kept outdoors all the time? Or, does he bring them in for the winter, RudeBwouUK? If he keeps them outdoors then they are hardy. I.e. they will survive the winter. But the trailing,"viney" ones he put in this year look as though they are "tender" ones. So, get all of these potted up and keep INDOORS. I would do this now. Water just a little when you do that but them keep them dry. If it gets too cold cover with a piece of fleece or even kitchen tissue.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      When I was a kid any fushias in pots , my mum would dig a hole under the privet hedge and lay staw down then lay the pots on the side still in the pot cover with straw then soil to about 12 inches , she would re-dig up in the spring re pot them give them a trim either used for taking cutting or just kept as far as I can remember it worked a treat as we did not have a greenhouse

Spruce

• Like Like x 3
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Well, these methods did work.. Are we getting too clever these days and missing the obvious.?

• Like Like x 4
        • RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
          +61
          Thanks fpr
          yeah theyve been outside under our bay windows so they do have some kind of shelter.

So what I get so far; I think what I will do is over the next week or so I will dig up the tender Fuchsias and pot em up. Then find some space for em indoors somewhere. Only question i have now is should I prune when i bring indoors? or just leave all that until spring?

Anyways thanks for responses everyone. Merleworld thanks for the link. I tried searching using google before making the thread but alotta people say different things depending on the regions they are in so i got a little confused lol.

• Like Like x 1
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            RudeBwouUK, yes prune them .....tidies them, takes up less room, you can eliminate any nasties on the leaves and you have them ready for the spring.

• RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
            +61
            so anyways... i got around to doing some pruning lol, hows this? [​IMG]

I took/kept some cuttings while pruning aswell as i dont like throwing stuff away lol. are they worth my keeping do you guys think? [​IMG]

would i be able to grow standard fuchsia from these cuttings?

• lakeside

lakeside Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +14
            I have some giant trailing fuchias in some hanging baskets, which still flowering well. I had planned to drastically prune them down once flowering ended, but will theybe hardy?

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,808
            Not unless you can overwinter them inside a GH lakeside. Especially as the forecast is for a colder than average Winter.

• Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
            Ratings:
            +121
            I have some 'babies' too - my lady in black climbing fuchsias.
            I have them, along with a couple of unplanted clematis and baby delphiniums etc. in some f those rectangle storage tubs (you can get from wilko's or poundstretcher). They are then all together secure in the tubs, alongside my fence.
            When it gets toward frost weather, the tubs will then have bubble wrap secured to the fence and draped over the tubs to keep the plants under frost-free.

:)

• raebhoop

raebhoop Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +167
            If that's a forecast from the 'Express' I don't take much notice,their headlines are all doom and gloom.Last year they said we were in for a Siberian winter...it didn't happen.
            I'll use my judgement as the months go by.

• RudeBwoyUK

RudeBwoyUK Gardener

Ratings:
            +61
            one cutting i took rooted pretty quick in water. so i put it in a small pot on my kitchen windowsill. anyways i noticed today a tiny little flower pod on it. should i snip it off or just let it carry on? The cutting only has like 2 sets of leaves.

Also is it flowering because i took the cutting from a flowering plant or maybe because its getting too much light from sitting in my kitchen?

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,352
            Cut it off , you want the energy to go into the roots not in to the flower

Spruce

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            When I saw the question I was going to suggest digging a hole etc but someone beat me to it! I've used this method and yes it works fine, especially if you don't have a heated greenhouse or live in a pretty cold part of the world. I usually bury them in my unheated greenhouse where the tomatoes have been removed from. Even 2 winters ago when we went down to about -15 the Fuchsias were fine and they are the tender ones.