What to do with my pot grown potatoes ?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Ginger1880, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Ginger1880

Ginger1880 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've grown quite a few large pots of potatoes

I removed the leaves and stalks a while ago and left the potatoes where they were, I have just been sticking my hand in and getting enough potatoes for what we require for a meal

Can I leave them in the soil to use as I require or should I get them out the soil and if so do what with them so they last

Thanks

Kx :mswhl:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Depends on how many you have got, they will come to no harm in the soil unless the slugs find them, also any too near the surface might get green (and should not be eaten as they are poisionous then) When the winter comes the frosts might ruin any pots near the soil surface,. If I was you I would pick them now, dry them and store in a paper bag in a cool dark place, they should keep for a few weeks like that indoors.

Farmers and the very keen sometime store large quantities of pots in a clamp (buried underneath a deep layer of soil) outside and they will last until next spring.