1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with Shallots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    The growth on my Shallots is now all brown do I now pull them up and let them dry out before I pickle them.I presume they have stopped growing.

2. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I've just pulled a bed of shallots. So far I've just pulled them and used them fresh without drying them. I would imagine if you are pickling them then you may be able to do it without drying them. I think I will be picking some of mine too perhaps along with some garlic.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I always let mine dry like the onions then pickle them.. :SUNsmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      Isn't the point of drying them to store them for longer. It seems unnecessary if you are going to pickle them anyway.

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,543
      Like Marley @Mike77 I dry mine off in the greenhouse in my ne of those blue mushroom trays and I leave them in there until any foliage has died off completely plus the roots that will still be alive at the base of each shallot will dry off.I think if you pickle them with the roots still attached then the shallots might spoil when they have been put into jars and pickling-vinegar or plain vinegar has been added.If you look at jars of pickled shallots in the supermarket you won’t see many if any roots attached to them.:smile: