What to do with this rose bush?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by boutetm, Mar 30, 2017.

1. boutetm

boutetm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I'm wondering what I should do with this gangling rose bush. Should I fix it to the wall? Prune it? If so, by how much? I am unsure of its variety.

Thankful for any advice!

Photos here:
    20170330_174328.jpg
    20170330_174313.jpg

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,487
    @wiseowl is our rose expert :dbgrtmb: he will soon have you on the right track

• Like Like x 2
    • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      Cant be 100% sure but don't think it's a climbing rose, just one that has had some heavy pruning in the past.

Here's a general guide to pruning roses PRUNING YOUR ROSES 2017. If it is a climber, it will need some supports or wires to climb up and should be pruned very differently, and @wiseowl may lend a helping hand in verifiction and pruning. A great guy :dbgrtmb:

The new shoot on the left may be a sucker as it appears to have seven leavesn on left-hand new stem in comparison to five on the the older branches. Check to see if it's rising out of the soil a short distance away from the plant or at the very base of a main stem. Roses are usually grafted onto rootstock and send 'suckers' out. These stems should be removed as they focus the plant's energy into growth formation and not flower production.

• Like Like x 1
      • boutetm

Ratings:
        +4
        20170330_174313.jpg
        Hi thanks so much. See image for more info. Do you think I should prune a bit more?

• Like Like x 1
        • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
          +599
          You did the right thing by removing branch 2 if it was dead. Looked like it had an open wound from being pruned too close, which may have lead to its demise.

If branch 1 & 2 are connected at the base, branch 1 may not be a sucker. In that case, personally, I'd prune the furthest left stem off stem from branch 1 altogether to stop it growing above your window. Maybe cut middle stem of branch 1 down to about 10mm above the right-facing new shoot (which is almost touching stem 2 in picture 2).

This is getting sriously confusing to word correctly so will add some pics tomorrow as it's practically impossible to use this notebook to make superimposed images without a mouse :frown:

• Like Like x 1
          • boutetm

Ratings:
            +4
            Thanks MM,

No worries, I can understand perfectly what you're suggesting! I'll give it a further prune and when I have some flowers, I'll come back for an ID.

Mat